• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power Supply

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Sorry - feels like all I do is ask questions on here!

I was just about to purchase the powertank 17ah from Skywatcher but then looking on here that may not be the best option - all I need to power is scope and dew control but would like to be able to get a full night in if conditions ever allow.  I have read up on the famous Baz battery but not sure I have the DIY skills/confidence to diy anything if I bought a leisure battery - is there anything I can purchase that is ready to go?  Or would a powertank do a full night based on what I use (i.e. no imaging/laptop etc.)

At the moment it is not a problem as only been out in back garden so have run extension lead outside but going forward I want to be able to get out to darker skies.

Guest Kheldar

Ready to go would be a jump starter unit from Maplins at about £30 - however I would talk to Martyn (Baz) first and see if he can help :)

I was in Maplins 2 weekends ago and they have a special offer on a 12v 17ah jump starter for £25 - dunno if the offer's still on. It only has one 12v output though. I use the 5 in 1 jump starter they do - it was £35 and has two 12v outputs plus one or two other gizmo's - I think it's nearly doubled in price since but still better than the powertanks for value.

Baz batteries are smashing - around 85ah plus. You'd need to get a charger (£12.50 from Halfords) and he will put a couple of outputs on for you if required - or you can diy. There's no problem with questions - that's what we're here for :)

Guest CodnorPaul

Thanks Brantuk - so that 5-in-1 jobby is 17ah as well - how long does that last?  Would it go all night based on go to and dew control?

Feel a bit cheeky asking Baz seen as I have never met him!

If you do speak to Martyn (Baz) and he is able to help you out battery wise then you can do alot worse than the battery box I use which I purchased from Ebay. I wrote about it in the thread below. Since I bought it I have also stuck a three way 12v plug adapter to it which I got from Maplins.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/3444-battery-box/

Edited by catman161

Dew control will drain 17ah a little quicker. But I've had a fully charged 5 in 1 powered constantly tracking and occasionally slewing  an NEQ6 pro from 6pm till 11am the next morning - with absolutely no problem. But I do tend to run dew control from mains and a transformer rather than tethered to a battery.

I would say the night was cool but not cold (autumn skies at Kelling) so it gave good performance. It will deliver 6hrs at least for a field session in bitter cold weather - we've done 9pm till 3am at Sawley several times exposed to freezing wind with no drop in performance. The scopes were CPC 800 and 12" Flextube dob - so not tiddlers lol :)

Baz get's his battery's from spent industrial UPS's for free - there's allways several good ones out of 50 odd batery's that get discarded and tipped since the UPS output depends on every battery delivering full output. If one goes down the whole unit output drops despite some with full life left in them. They change the whole lot for new - so the Baz ones are perfect but just gonna get dumped. So you needn't have any reservations asking him - he's a solid chap and loves helping out as much as all of us. :)

I have had a 38A/H Baz battery for over a year now, at the last EMS star party I had it running 5 dew bands (nothing else) and it lasted approx 16-18 hours without charging!!!

It was took off charge Thursday night, I was at EMS1 Friday to Sunday and it powered my dew stuff for approx 9hrs a night, over 2 nights.

Absolutely fantastic.

I have had a 38A/H Baz battery for over a year now, at the last EMS star party I had it running 5 dew bands (nothing else) and it lasted approx 16-18 hours without charging!!!

It was took off charge Thursday night, I was at EMS1 Friday to Sunday and it powered my dew stuff for approx 9hrs a night, over 2 nights.

Absolutely fantastic.

would agree Daz, the 38 a/h would be ideal for just dew bands etc.  no problems with a flat battery at the wrong time :)

Sheila

Edited by Sheila