• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newcomer from Ilkeston.

Guest devil74

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daz Type-R

• Brantuk

• catman161

• Sheila

Hi Darren,Yeah would be good to take a look at your scope, thanks for that.Damian

You just need to get a few more posts (10) and the PM facility will be available to you. When it is, drop me a pm and we can arrange a night you can come round.

Once you get into the hobby you'll find it's not uncommon to find folks with several scopes depending on what they do with them. You've already discovered the first general difference (deep sky v's solar system). There's also visual v's imaging, and sun or night sky - think I had 7 at the last count but some folks never sell from their first teenage scope to their 50' & 60's and collect over 20 scopes lol.

Come see a few at an observing session - you'll get loads of advice and it'll give you a much better idea. :)

Guest devil74

Afternoon all,

Just been looking through my astro mag and found there's an astronomy show down in Warwickshire in mid May...thought this might be a good time to buy after looking through some of your scopes at meets etc . I cant wait now...like a kid in a candy shop lol.

Guest devil74

Oh and Pat...It would be a pleasure to come and have a look at your obsy...I will look forward to it. Going to see Baz and Daz next week for a chat etc. You lot are so welcoming, very refreshing.

Oh and Pat...It would be a pleasure to come and have a look at your obsy...I will look forward to it. Going to see Baz and Daz next week for a chat etc. You lot are so welcoming, very refreshing.

Martyn has a few scopes and I am bringing all my kit for you to have a look at, just to show you if going down the dob route some of the things you need, can do etc.

See you Wednesday.

Not a bad little scope. Maks are good for planetary, having a slow F ratio, but quite a small aperture so not great for DSO's

Cracking little scopes those, I got to look through one and was very surprised by the views. As has been said, they're great for lunar and planetary observations.

Don't discount a dob straight out though. Whilst they can lack contrast on the planets, they still do a sterling job and you have the advantage of more aperture for those deep sky objects.

Can you get to a meet and take a look at the scopes on offer? It's always wise to try before you buy. :)

Guest devil74

Yeah I am going to get to a meet asap. Gonna take a look through some kit on Wednesday as well and also look at more at the astronomy show in May...hopefully by then I will have made my mind up lol. 

I know what you mean about the dobs though...but give me some advice if you would. Just been looking at these 8 and 10" http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/page/1/ (preferably the 10" as you can get a big aperture for your money) but obviously these are on dob bases and I wonder how portable they are for taking to meets and manually skewing round etc...is it possible to mount these later on an eq mount?

I used to have my 200P on its Dob base (modded though to make slewing and target location easier) and it was easily transported in a small vauxhall corsa.

It's a yes to mounting them on an EQ mount later as I now mount my 200P on an NEQ6 Pro. The NEQ6 Pro will take the 10 inch also anything smaller (EQ5 or HEQ5) and you may be pushing the mounts weight limit with a 10inch depending why accessories e.g. Eyepieces, barlows, cameras etc that you intend to use with it.

Guest devil74

Morning all, rise and shine.

Take a look at these these two Dobs; 10" fixed and flextube

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-dobsonian.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-dobsonian.html

So is there really any difference between the two...I know you need a shroud for the flextube to improve contrast but apart from that would there be a deciding factor for you guys? I quite like the Flextube version for portability reasons. And would some extra eyepieces be needed...maybe plossl?

Guest devil74

Morning folks,

Just want to say a big thank you to Martyn, Daz and Rob for taking the time last night to show and explain to us novices 'what were getting into'. You guys are so helpful its unbelievable. Hopefully see you all again soon. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Martyn - thank you for the very warm hospitality.

Thanks All

Hi Damian. Jason here. I agree with you. Every one was very helpfull. Just wish I didn't have this flu , I'd of enjoyed it more. Some good bits of kit out there aswell.

Yeah just want to add my thanks to Martyn and Daz for showing us your scopes and letting us pick their brains

Thanks Rob for the introduction to the members too

Great to meet you Damian and Jason hope the flu gets better Damian and did you buy that eye piece Jason??

Oh yes and thank you Tinkerbell for all those coffees and a mountain on biscuits

Cheers Allan

Guest devil74

Hi Chris. Welcome to EMS. I like you am new to all this but these guys are absolutely brilliant. So glad I chose this forum. Hopefully we can all get together soon.

Damian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest devil74

Evening folks,

Sorry for asking such a stupid question but got the pocket sky atlas today....where do i start? Any help would be great.

Also thanks to everyone who pointed me to the messier object pdf's...I have laminated the 15 map set and all single 110 of them too. Hoping to use these when I get my scope and get to meets (if the weather ever changes that is). Also is there anything out there for ticking off such objects once you have seen them, like recording sheets.?

Thanks for all your help folks.

Have a look on stellarium (put your location latitude and longitude in) that will show you your locations sky in real time. Then use your atlas to familiarise yourself with the constellations/objects that are visible from your location :)