• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

It`s arrived!

oldfruit

After much thinking and reading enough reviews to make my head hurt, i finally hit the "buy now" button yesterday.

An email to FLO and a quick reply, i have just purchased a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm eyepiece. Ordered yesterday afternoon and it arrived early this afternoon, great service! :)

Wow is all i can say at the moment. It is a hell of a lump, all 1kg of it!!. I have put it in the focuser of the 12 inch dob and suprisingly the issue of balance is not too bad.

Last pic is with an 8mm BST explorer for comparison.

Just waiting for some clear skies so i can do a first light. I sincerly hope it is as good as the reviews suggest it is.

Pictures attatched.

Needless to say, the wife has been feeling a little neglected this evening since i introduced them both. :D

That will be great in the Dob, it's a real galaxy finder, they just pop out.

It's a beast though isn't it, you certainly get your monies worth.

SW appears to be a clone

Having read many reviews, they are in effect the same eyepiece and there seems to be no difference in performance. I hope this is the case.

Can`t wait for a clear sky. :)

I agree according to lots of reviews they are identical, made in the same factory.

But I did read one that says that the Uwans have better contrast control. And then there was the Sky at night magazine review that caused a hotly debated topic on SGL. If I remember correctly the Uwan got a higher mark out of 100 then the Nirvana.

Yep looks a definite clone, nice one Mark, the double looks superb in wide angle low mag quality eyepieces

The double cluster, Leo triplet, M31, Veil etc are the reasons i have purchased this particular one. Also now i have the 12 inch dob i want to be able to get the most out of it and these eyepieces seem to be the way to go as Televue is a little out of my price range. From what i have been reading though, these are not far behind performance wise.

I agree according to lots of reviews they are identical, made in the same factory.

But I did read one that says that the Uwans have better contrast control. And then there was the Sky at night magazine review that caused a hotly debated topic on SGL. If I remember correctly the Uwan got a higher mark out of 100 then the Nirvana.

To my untrained and inexperienced eyes i dare say i would not notice the difference. :D From what i have been reading and seen of the eyepiece so far, i do not think i will be disappointed.

Guest Kheldar

Oh I hope no one took my comment of clone as detrimental?

Clones are great, usually made in the same factory to the original spec ... just with a different brand :) You see it often in astro gear

Oh I hope no one took my comment of clone as detrimental?

Clones are great, usually made in the same factory to the original spec ... just with a different brand :) You see it often in astro gear

Not at all Stephen, never took it that way and besides we are all grownups here :D  and all comments are appreciated, plus i know what you mean about clones. Truth is some of you guys are more experienced than myself so you would probably know more about these things than myself.