• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Inaugural EMS Rocket Contest.

Perkil8r

After careful consideration with regards to safety, myself and Martyn aka BAZ are pleased to say we will be organising a water powered rocket contest.

It will take place on the Saturday of  the EMS2 weekend. The exact time will depend on a few factors. Obviously we won't want to clash (no pun intended) with the talk by Paul Money, this will be a big factor in the exact timing of the contest. We will also decide on where exactly to launch the rockets once we are at the site. If we can't find enough room at the site we intend on heading to the beach near by which has parking adjacent. A check of the tides shows that the tide will be out in the afternoon, so this shouldn't present too many issues.

The rules for construction will be posted here in the thread. Please read them carefully, safety is paramount, but most of all it is to be FUN!

We will organise the launch facility. We are also looking to secure a few small prizes, nothing major as it is just for fun.

The rules have been set out to allow as much innovation as possible, whilst keeping things even, safe and cheap. We are planning on running two classes of rockets, class 1 will be 0.5 litre, class 2 will be 2.0 litre, however at this moment in time we are unsure about the 0.5 litre class until we have proven the launch facility to be safe for both classes. An update will be posted asap with regards to this.

All rockets will be launched by the same person/people and all will be to a pre-determined safe pressure which we will test between now and the contest.

I'll update this thread with some useful links for sites with information on water powered rockets over the next few days.

If anybody interested could please shout up so we can get some idea on numbers, but there is no deadline as such other than of course the day.

EMS
Water Rocket Competition Rules.

Contents.

1. Introduction and Classes

2. Construction Rules General.

3. Class 1 Specific Rules.

4. Class 2 Specific Rules.

5. Other Odds and Ends.

Introduction and Classes.

The EMS water rocket competition is supposed to be fun, this is probably the most
important thing to remember about these rules other than safety. The aim is to design and fly your very own water powered rocket, using a soft drinks bottle for the “Rocket Motorâ€.

The competion will be split into two classes:

Class 1 shall be for rockets with a motor size of 0.5 Litres.

Class 2 shall be for rockets with a motor size of 2.0 Litres.

Both classes shall be judged on two criteria: Design (or asthetics) and Duration of flight from launch to landing.

The judges decision will be final. There is no right to appeal, bribes may be tendered in the form of cakes, biscuits and other such food stuffs at the discretion of the judges.

Construction Rules General.

Rocket Motor.

1. All “rocket motors†for both classes MUST be standard soft drinks bottles from the Coca Cola Co. and be any of the following: Coke, Dr Pepper, Fanta, Sprite. (Diet or regular are acceptable) This is for your own safety as well as the safety of those around you, and also to ensure consistant launches.

2. All rockets in both classes must have a single “motor†and must be of single stage design.

3. No part of the motor may be modified. Again this is for safety reasons. Modifying the motor may weaken the bottle which when pressurised may cause danger. By “modifying†the rules are to be interprated as no holes, cuts or otherwise modifications which alter the skin or neck of the bottle.

4. Cap retaining rings must be removed. The cap on the bottle will have had a security seal under the lip on the neck of the bottle. This must be removed carefully so as to ensure the launch system can lock onto the lip securely.

5. The only “Fuel†allowed shall be still tap water and normal air. You may use as much or as little water as you wish. 50% is considered normal. Absolutely no carbonated water, combustable gasses etc.

Aerodynamics.

1. All rockets MUST be fitted with fins to ensure stable flight.

2. Nose cones etc are allowed but must not come to a sharp point. They must be either flat to a dia of 15mm or larger (other shapes allowed but must cover the same surface area or there abouts) or may be rounded off such as a Ping Pong ball or Kinder Egg toy holder.

3. All aerodynamics must conform to the materials guidelines set out further on in the rules.

4. Fins must not protrude further than 75mm past the end of the bottom of the rocket (the end of the screw cap threads) and must allow a minimum of 75mm dia space for the launch system to connect. (see appendix fig 1.0)

For guidelines on fins please look here: http://www.water-rockets.com/article.pl?121,0

Materials.

Only low density materials may be used, such as plastic, card, foam and balsa wood. Absolutely no metal may be used in construction except where ontained inside the rocket such as to operate recovery systems. Paper fasteners are however allowed as long as the button side is facing outwards and all sharp parts of it are enclosed within the rocket.

All parts are to be seccurely fastened to the motor. Only hot glue or adhesive tape may be used to seccure parts to the engine. Polystyrene cement is not allowed as this will weaken the integrity of the pressure vessel.

Safety.

NO SHARP POINTS OR EDGES

NO MODIFICATIONS TO THE PRESSURE VESSEL

Class 1 Specific Rules.

1. The pressure vessel must be 0.5 Litres in size. You may only use the 0.5 Litre version of the drinks bottles previously stated.

2. Fins must be fitted as laid out in the aerodynamics rules.

3. Recovery systems may be used. Max surface area equal to that of a 1m Dia circle.

4. Total waterless weight may not exceed 200 grams.

Class 2 Specific Rules.

1. The pressure vessel must be 2.0 Litres in size. You may only use the 2.0 Litre version of the drinks bottles previously stated.

2. Fins must be fitted as laid out in the aerodynamics rules.

3. Recovery systems MUST be used. Due to the increase in weight and altitude these rockets may attain, your rocket MUST have a fitted and working parachute system to ensure the safe return back to ground of your rocket. Any method of deployment may be used. Bear in mind that the winner will be the longest flight time from launch to landing, so this rule makes it safe and also levels the competition. Max surface area equal to a 1.5m dia circle.

4. All parts of the rocket must land in a conrolled manner. If the nose cone comes off to allow deployment of the recovery system, it must either come down attached to the main part of the rocket, (such as by string etc) or must have it's own parachute. The same applies to payloads.

5. Total weight of the waterless rocket to be no more than 500 grams including any payload.

6. There is no rule 6.

Safety

No part of the rocket should be designed to return to earth in free fall.

Where leashes are to be used to keep parts together during descent, no leash may be longer than 40cm so as to reduce the risk of wrapping around things or people.

No form of combustion must take place during the flight.

Odds and Ends.

Safety is very important, any craft deemed unsafe will be refused launching, however you may rectify and return for aproval. If the grown up then says it is safe, you may then launch.

Launching shall be the responsibility of the authorised team only. You may fill your own rocket to your desired level with water. You will be allowed to oversee the loading of you rocket onto the launch facility. Once loaded you will be asked if you are happy to proceed. Once you are happy, you must retire to a safe distance which will be indicated in some way, either fence, line drawn on the ground etc.

All rockets in each class shall be presuurised to the same level by the authorised launch team. An audible countdown shall commence and you rocket will be launched.

Your flight time is deemed to be the time it takes from lift off until the first part of your rocket touches the ground.

Rockets may be any length and take any form you wish, but must comply to the rules on materials and have no sharp points or edges. No harmful substances are to be used incase of loss. Where ever possible all parts of rockets must be recovered so as not to leave any litter behind.

Most importantly, be safe and have fun!

Appendix.

fig1_zpsbd2532c0.jpg

Edited by Perkil8r

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• philjay

• Sheila

• BAZ

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment it will either be a commercially available unit, or a custom made one based on the system that it uses. This is the one in question: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fullbore-Water-Rocket-Launcher-/150991732251?clk_rvr_id=450067205308 quite what that has to do with you having a go or not though I'm not sure?

Guest Kheldar

At the moment it will either be a commercially available unit, or a custom made one based on the system that it uses. This is the one in question: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fullbore-Water-Rocket-Launcher-/150991732251?clk_rvr_id=450067205308 quite what that has to do with you having a go or not though I'm not sure?

Physics my dear friend, I intend to defeat you all with Physics muahahahaha :evil:

The exit of the "engine" bottle must, as per the rules remain un-altered. So the bottles will have to be full bore at the neck. Hope that helps.

IF, and that is a big IF it is a success and we avoid making a crater in Lincolnshire or filling the A&E dept at the local hospital, future events might include a third class which would allow for a bit more scope. We need to prove the concept and establish a knowledge base before allowing things to get too dangerous ;)

Damn! Though I'd found a use for that unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine I've got kicking around in the shed....

Its amazing how this tradition has carried on, me and swashy on ukai forum started this at psp3 many years ago. We challenged each other to a race, he with his bottle rocket and me with my estes solid fuel rocket, (still got it somewhere). Mine got the highest but his was funnier and won the prize for most entertaining. Glad the tradition is still going

Damn! Though I'd found a use for that unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine I've got kicking around in the shed....

:lol:  :lol:

Sheila

Its amazing how this tradition has carried on, me and swashy on ukai forum started this at psp3 many years ago. We challenged each other to a race, he with his bottle rocket and me with my estes solid fuel rocket, (still got it somewhere). Mine got the highest but his was funnier and won the prize for most entertaining. Glad the tradition is still going

Are we to assume you'll be having a go at it then? :D

Unfortunately Iwont be going to ems2 but if I did I would be disqualified for my solid fueled rocket Im sure. It thrashes these whimpy water rockets:-)

I thought you said it was going to be fun, the fun ended for me after line 2 of the "massive" list of rules and regs.........

Will have another read of "war and peace" when I get home, sounds fun though!

:)

The rules aren't that many, nor long, they just look long due to poor formatting on my part. The rules are mainly to do with keeping it safe and keeping it a fair contest and cheap. What we don't want is anybody coming up with some fandangle design that is made of unobtanium and blows the rest of them into the water. :)

Guest Tweedledum

@sheila, had though of either 2 -4 dinitro phenyl hydrazine or , t-stoff and c-stoff  .

Lost a batch of nitroglycerine once... :D

Edited by Tweedledum

Guest Tweedledum

Same here Pat, cannot go, my old Chemistry master used to make the fireworks for bonfire night for the sailing club....When he retired they had to get Porton Down to clear his stock room. :D

This sounds like a bit of a laugh, perhaps sat afternoon after pauls talk, we will all be near the beach then anyway??

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Dave,

Don't forget to warn the coastguards :D ....

In 2011 was on hol in Northumberland and had taken my st120 to the beach at night, jupiter about 30 deg off horizon, totally dark and casting light on the water. Some bright spark called the coastguards thining it was a distress flare...(even though red is distress, white collision alert!).... they launched a lifeboat...

Cheers

This sounds like a bit of a laugh, perhaps sat afternoon after pauls talk, we will all be near the beach then anyway??

That's the plan stan ;)

But since Paul's talk appears to be top secret who knows........ maybe if we knew what day and time the talk was happening it would help?

Edited by Perkil8r

Lol I know a couple of the local coastguard, I will let em know. My little lad wants to get involved so it will be a father son effort from us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.