• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Setting circle for a 200P.

Daz Type-R

Ok guys and gals, after over 4 months of on/off trying to get this sorted I am still no closer to getting it done.

I have tried 2 different Staples shops both of which can not get anything to print to the correct size that I require. (not even close, either way too big or way too small, seriously, how hard can it be??????)

Does anybody have a setting circle that I can either.....

1)  Buy.

2)  Borrow, so I can trace it and then re-trace it back on to my ground board (I have no issue with sitting there drawing hundreds of little lines)

Or

3)  Any other ideas out there?

Cheers,

Daz.

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Kheldar

I'm going to ask a really silly question Daz - both Sheila and I looked at your scope at the SGL night ... and wondered if it was a 150P rather than a 200P?

It's an 8" mirror (or that is what I bought), and it it way bigger than Cazz and Waynes and there is an 150P, so I never gave it another thought.

You have me worried now :o

Edited by Daz Type-R

Guest Kheldar

It's an 8" mirror (or that is what I bought), and it it way bigger than Cazz and Waynes and there is an 150P, so I never gave it another thought.

You have me worried now :o

If mirror is 8" then there's no reason for concern ... just looked ... small to my mind (I owned a 200P too) but it's been so long I've probably got it wrong in my head :)

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi daz,

what is the actual diameter of the circle you require , I found a 360 setting circle on the web then printed it off which took  four x a4 size sheets of  paper =I joined these carefully and made my circle from that on a larger white card =just an idea =it was quite easy to do.

regards Dan

I could probably do the design/artwork for it, all you would need then is somebody with a large enough printer to print it out for you. The package I use is the one sign writers use so it works full size upto absolutely huge, well over 10m if required. As I say though, I have no way of printing them off, although you are making me wonder if there might be a small, very small market for them.......

Just got a quick online quote, 56cm x 56cm (you would need to trim it by hand) can be printed on self adhesive vinyl for £6.27

Very interested, what depth would the degrees be?, by that I mean from the outer edge to the inner edge, I was looking at lines about a 4 cm long so that would show up nice and big in a 2" cable tidy like what Mick and Felix have done.

Darren,

I have a setting circle on my 200p, but it appears to be bonded to the inside of the base.

You are welcome to borrow that for a day or two, if you wish.

Don't forget I only work across the road from you, so could drop it off on the way, if you like?

Thank you very much for the offer. If Mikes solution does not pan out I will 100% be dropping you a PM.

Thank you very much.

Thank you very much for the offer. If Mikes solution does not pan out I will 100% be dropping you a PM.

Thank you very much.

OK, no probs. 

Guest black eyed hexy

Hi Dan.

It's 52 cm across.

Have you got the web address please?

hi Daz ,

have a look at this=http://settingcircles.robertwillett.com:8000/index.php?cmd=circles_screen

took me a while to find the archive -but this is the pdf file I used ==you can enlarge it  to any size, before  you print it off =I printed mine onto 4 x sheets of A4 

carefully joined them together =laid it on a bigger white card =then ran a straight edge through the centre point and each mark in turn to make a bigger circle whallah !

I used it to make a quadrant as well for altitude ==

this was so accurate in placing objects in the field of view , it left me a bit dumbfounded  tbh. -as I was not expecting this sort of accuracy,and along with co-ordinates off stellarium who needs to spend ,if you like the manual side - don,t know about other,s but that was my experience ===well worth the effort.

regards- set in a circle --Dan