• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Eyepiece has arrived :)

catman161

So I have been reading alot about eyepieces in general ever since I started just over a year ago. Not long after my entrance to this hobby I went to meet Kim as we live close to each other. He showed me some views through his Hyperion zoom and meg 72 and then said something that has stuck with me ever since, "if you like the view through that [Hyperion zoom] wait until you see this" Kim then proceeded to bring out all his TV Eyepieces! I was immediately gobsmacked by the views through all of them-I particularly liked the panoptic and ethos eyepieces.

Since that night I have longed for TV eyepieces. As mentioned, recently I have been reading a lot more about them and seeking advice from the members on here. I was scanning ABS and I saw a 13mm Ethos come up for an ok price so I emailed the seller and made an offer (quite a cheeky one!) and to my surprise he accepted and now I am the proud owner of my first TV eyepiece (second if you include the powermate-but it's not really an eyepiece is it??)

First impressions; it's absolutely pristine condition it looks new, not a mark on it anywhere. The seller was a pleasure to deal with and informed me that in a moment of madness at last years astrofest he bought two 13mm Ethos' with the intention of binoviewing with them and never even used this one! The build quality seems rock solid-optics appear spotless. It's a lump at about half a kg I reckon (not weighed it).

I am well chuffed and will do a first light report of it tomorrow providing it stays clear tonight :)sezy2y2e.jpg

9a8ymy4y.jpg

sune5usu.jpg

Very nice eyepiece. I know someone who has two of these and uses them in a binoviewer with a 10" LX200. I have viewed the moon through his setup, you could see the moon pole to pole in one fov. It was as though the moon was a 3D globe about 2m diameter just out of arms reach. I felt I could lean forward and run my fingers over the craters.

Very nice Felix, Bet you can`t wait to try it out. Should be clear tonight :D

I know it best stay clear! Might even get a peek of DA14 in the 25x100 bins if I'm lucky :) after that it'll be ethos +/- 2x powermate all night I think!

Edited by catman161

We have two of these Ethos's between us Felix - and a pair of binoviewers - we'll have to get together over an Sct (I've got one of those too lol).

Good god thats a big EP! I like big stuff. May yave to look into getting me some of those!

These aren't the biggest! You should see the panoptics and larger naglers. Be warned Toby once you start "looking" that quickly turns into yearning which eventually turns into buying which then turns into poverty!! Lol!

We have two of these Ethos's between us Felix - and a pair of binoviewers - we'll have to get together over an Sct (I've got one of those too lol).

That sounds like a plan Kim-I'm in :)

These aren't the biggest! You should see the panoptics and larger naglers. Be warned Toby once you start "looking" that quickly turns into yearning which eventually turns into buying which then turns into poverty!! Lol!

Lol I'm travelling that well worn road myself!

Do not forget to put this in when you balance the scope

Indeed Pat-I will rebalance when adding in the 2x powermate also-they are pretty hefty too :)

Very nice, currently on the way to getting one myself.

Nice which one are you gonna get first? I'm saving for 21mm now-will be a while yet though I think.

My plan is this....

1)  13mm Televue Ethos

2)  31mm Televue Nagler

3)  2" Televue 2x powermate for the 13mm Ethos.

I looked at the 21mm Ethos and thought about getting the 17mm Ethos as an in-betweener instead, then a 31mm Nagler and a powermate, but the 13mm gets sooo many good reviews.

Still a while to wait though as I am currently saving so plenty of time to decide and read more reviews/get advice etc.

Just a gut feeling (so feel free to ignore ...) I think you will miss something between 13mm and 31mm ...

ha ha, back to the drawing board, I think I`m going to get the 13mm first and plan the rest round that.  Decent mag and 100 degree just sounds tooooo good.

Cheers, advice noted!

:thumbsup:

Scrap the last plan Felix.

New plan.

13mm Televue Ethos.

2" 2x Televue Powermate.

Leave at that before SWMBO twigs how much I have just spent!

Scrap the last plan Felix.

New plan.

13mm Televue Ethos.

2" 2x Televue Powermate.

Leave at that before SWMBO twigs how much I have just spent!

That's what I have at the moment-you're more than welcome to have a look with them at next meet. I'll be at the imaging workshop if you're coming?

I haven't decided properly yet either re:which ones I will get but I would like the 21mm and 6mm ethos and then maybe 35mm Panoptic too. There's too much choice! Plus I want to take advice on best ones for my (our) scope :)

No point getting the 6mm Ethos since you have the power mate, you effectively have the 6.5mm there, power mates do not degrade performance like barlows do.

I am sooo envious of you Felix, you have my dream ep set up all ready.........congrats!

And thanks for the offer, may take you up on that, as for the workshop, doubt I will be there.

Hi Felix,

If you have the *F5* 200P then the 35mm panoptic would provide a 7mm exit pupil and you would waste some of the light, since your dark adapted pupil will probably only be 6mm wide. The 35mm Pan is nice but not ideal in an F5 scope as you would not get full benefit from it. Your 8" would effectively have the light grasp of about a 6" scope when using the big pan. If your scope is F6 then fine, you will fully utilise the exit pupil.

Also the Panoptic will definitely look a bit narrow at 68 degrees once you get used to that 100 degree Ethos.

Bet you're getting excited about using that Ethos :D .

No point getting the 6mm Ethos since you have the power mate, you effectively have the 6.5mm there, power mates do not degrade performance like barlows do.

Good advice there :thumbsup:

Ok, just looked at the price of those! Sat in a corner rocking back and forth for a while.

Ha ha, why do you think I am saving????