• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Eyepiece has arrived :)

catman161

Hi Felix,

If you have the *F5* 200P then the 35mm panoptic would provide a 7mm exit pupil and you would waste some of the light, since your dark adapted pupil will probably only be 6mm wide. The 35mm Pan is nice but not ideal in an F5 scope as you would not get full benefit from it. Your 8" would effectively have the light grasp of about a 6" scope when using the big pan. If your scope is F6 then fine, you will fully utilise the exit pupil.

Also the Panoptic will definitely look a bit narrow at 68 degrees once you get used to that 100 degree Ethos.

Bet you're getting excited about using that Ethos :D .

Hey Pete, my scope is F6 ( well F5.91 but don't get me started on that ;) ) it is the 1200mm one off a Dob base not the PDS.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. I am not rushing into anything with the next eyepiece as yet as have to save the money again!

I am really looking forward to using it later! I can't wait-it best stay clear!

No point getting the 6mm Ethos since you have the power mate, you effectively have the 6.5mm there, power mates do not degrade performance like barlows do.

I am sooo envious of you Felix, you have my dream ep set up all ready.........congrats!

And thanks for the offer, may take you up on that, as for the workshop, doubt I will be there.

Of course you are right Daz-I didn't think of it like that-thanks. Well anytime you want to have a look through at a meet as I said you're welcome.

You have come along way in such a short space of time Felix, well done on a excellent choice.

Thanks Mick-still so much more to learn, there's so much to this hobby, that's why I enjoy it. Wouldn't have got anywhere without EMS though, big thanks to you all for your help and advice :)

Come on Felix... Anything to report on your new super ep???

I'm anxious to know what you think to it and what you've seen. :)

Ha ha! Will do it later this evening Pete :) will be a short one I am afraid as I went to Kim's and we both just about managed first light on our new gear but cloud plagued us so only 4 targets "glimpsed". Will explain in observing report later. Right now have to do domestic stuff-food shopping :( Drag!