• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Guest kathiem

Guest kathiem

Hi I'm Kathie, a newbie stargazer introduced to the topic by Steve, Martyn and Mike who came to my school with their telescopes and inspired me and many of our pupils. Now I want to know more and continue my class' inspiration. Binoculars were recommend to start off with - but can you suggest any particular ones?  

Is there any place I should head for to see the asteroid tonight?

Edited by kathiem

Hi Kathie and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Just look up at the Plough around 9:30pm - it'll be between the pan and the closest handle star. Choose a darkish location to view from.

Hi Kathie, welcome to EMS.

just a pair of 10x50's will get you off to a flying start, they can be had for around thirty pounds. DON'T get zoom one's they are poor with regards to the field of 

Have a look here for a map and times of where the asteroid will be.

view.http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/3952-map-for-asteroid-2012-da14/

Enjoy the forum.

Hi Kathie, glad to see you made it :)

As Martyn says, 10x50's are a great place to start off with. Some of the old ones are very good, I had a pair of bino's which are getting on for 40 years old, they were made for Boots the Chemists! They are still very decent, you can pick those up stupidly cheap second hand. I now have a pair made by Bushnell that I brought back from the states, they are also very good.

A good place to start is to hop on over to http://www.stellarium.org/ and download the free program, it will show you where to find things in the sky for your location and time/date etc.

"Thanks Martyn - Are you THE Martyn that came to Cloudside?"

Fraid so, It was a good night wasn't it!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away in the beginners section, and someone will be a long shortly.

Guest kathiem

"Thanks Martyn - Are you THE Martyn that came to Cloudside?"

Fraid so, It was a good night wasn't it!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask away in the beginners section, and someone will be a long shortly.

:D Yes certainly was- the children were buzzing. Shame we are not in school for a week to take advantage of the meteor and asteroid.

Guest kathiem

Hi Kathie, glad to see you made it :)

As Martyn says, 10x50's are a great place to start off with. Some of the old ones are very good, I had a pair of bino's which are getting on for 40 years old, they were made for Boots the Chemists! They are still very decent, you can pick those up stupidly cheap second hand. I now have a pair made by Bushnell that I brought back from the states, they are also very good.

A good place to start is to hop on over to http://www.stellarium.org/ and download the free program, it will show you where to find things in the sky for your location and time/date etc.

Thanks Mike I will try some 10 x 50s out and treat myself

Guest kathiem

Hi Kathie and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Just look up at the Plough around 9:30pm - it'll be between the pan and the closest handle star. Choose a darkish location to view from.

Thanks I shall head up to the golf course - should find the plough from there. :rolleyes:

Breadsall..... only just noticed your from Derby! I'm in Breadsall Hilltop :)

Keep an eye out on the EMS Meets section of the forum, Belper is just up the road and is well worth a trip if we have a meet. You can meet up with the rest of us and have a look through some scopes :) First visit is free, if you like it and wish to do so you can pay just £20 a year to use the darksite both at Belper and Wymeswold. From the Belper Darksite the MilkyWay is clearly visible on a clear night.