• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Question about auto-timer's on DSLR's

RonC

I normally don't bother setting an'interval' time when using the auto-timer to image. Last week I set it for 20secs 'Long' and 5 exps, I got 4 exps of 13 secs and only 1 of 20 secs! Should I be leaving an interval between exposures and if so, how long please?

Cheers

Ron

On mine you set exposure to whatever you want then the interval to the exposure length + the gap between exposures, I think you should leave like 20 seconds or so to cool between each but it depends on the sub length I guess

Thanks for the link Pat, would seem about 20 sec pauses are the norm. So it's OK to start the next exposure while the previous one is downloading on to the card?

Cheers

Ron

PS Just did 5 x 60sec exp with 20sec intervals. the 5 exposures are 60s,17s,60s,17s and 60sec ?? What's going on??

Edited by Ron Clarke

Yes, I'm just going to run the same test using BY EOS see if there's any difference!

Will let you know shortly!

Ron

It could be that the camera was busy saving the image to the card for the first few seconds of the next exposure? On my 350d I was advised that in cold weather 5 seconds is as good as anything for subs upto around 3 or 4 minutes. I mostly use 5 seconds in cold weather and around 20 or 30 during warmer weather. I've not had any issues. As pat says, as long as your darks are done at the same intervals etc you should be able to get rid of any noise anyway. The shorter the interval the more subs you can do in a night :)

Well, BYEos was faultless, took 3 lots of 5x60sec without an interval and they all came out at 60secs each! Therefore it must be 

the digital remote. As Mike says, watching it , it starts an exp while the previous one is still busy!!

Ron

Yes I have Graham?

switch it off Ron.

It will half you exposure time.

If you do a 60 second sub the camera will then take a 60 second dark so each sub will take 120 seconds, ( or it does on the 350 ) this could well be causing the encroachment of your subs when using the timer.

It will make no difference to your data as you will be adding darks anyway.

Guest Kheldar

switch it off Ron.

It will half you exposure time.

If you do a 60 second sub the camera will then take a 60 second dark so each sub will take 120 seconds, ( or it does on the 350 ) this could well be causing the encroachment of your subs when using the timer.

It will make no difference to your data as you will be adding darks anyway.

Oh hell yes turn it off!!!!!