• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New lead

dawson

I somehow broke the connector on the lead which runs from the telescope (SkyWatcher 127) and the handset. The manual says it has a RJ-45 connector one end and a RJ-12 the other. Where can I get a replacement from which is also a longer lead, like 5m or so, so I can control the telescope from the boot of my car where my laptop sits. I've got a long lead on my webcam and I'm experimenting with imaging through the webcam and telescope.

Also, has anyone found a easily transportable chair which can cope in a field and which the seat height can be easily adjusted?

Regards

James

P.S. I went out last night and spent an age setting the telescope up in the middle of nowhere then another age getting the webcam to talk to the laptop, then when I finally got it working, I realised my alignment hadn't been very good so the tracking was awful, then the cloud came in! It clearly [sic] wasn't meant to be last night. So I came home, had a glass of wine and two chocolate eclairs!

Hey James type in astronomiser to google they sell the replacement cables. Very reliable and great communication via email. Bought from them a few times.

With regard to the chair part of your question, do a google search for 'ironing chair', I think they start at about £10 at Lidl and go up to at least £70 at the posh shops.

With regard to the chair part of your question, do a google search for 'ironing chair', I think they start at about £10 at Lidl and go up to at least £70 at the posh shops.

I hate ironing. :P

Interesting. Never heard of an ironing chair before. I'll investigate but they look ideal!

Do other people ever take a bit square of ply with them to the field, as my isolated and secret location is very uneven and muddy and it would be nice to have a platform for the telescope and one for me!

JD

Do other people ever take a bit square of ply with them to the field, as my isolated and secret location is very uneven and muddy and it would be nice to have a platform for the telescope and one for me!

JD

Good idea but I'd be more bothered about transporting the big muddy sheet of ply in the car afterwards.

Somewhere on the forum is a post showing some smaller plywood feet, one for each tripod leg. These stop the legs sinking in to mud. I searched for it but couldn't find the post. I think they might have been made by Mike - Perkl8r.

Don't suppose you want to share the location of your "isolated and secret location". :D

If I remember rightly, the plywood feet in the post were so neat and posh in their yacht varnish, that I would not have wanted to get them muddy :lol: .

I hadn't thought of feet, but that is a good idea, just something to spread the load, like the feet at the bottom of scaffolding! I'd need to find some with a shorter neck to get the tripod legs into as they'd be at a variable angle (depending on the leg length). Thank you.

I also want to get a little fold out table as there are so many boxes and crap! Do you experienced observers have your lenses and stuff in a case with pre-cut foam slots? I'm still using the original boxes but as times goes buy these are getting damp and worn.

The location isn't that secret, but I do have the land owners permission to go there. It's in the Granby area near Newark. I found it when I went on a location searching mission.

James

Yep the scaffold feet is a good idea.

I wouldn't be without my picnic table whilst observing. Get a bigish one, I guarantee you will make use of the whole surface with cases, eps, lens caps, torch and star atlas etc.

The foam filled flight cases are brilliant for eps and other tackle. Maplins often have them on sale at reduced prices.

I bet it is quite dark in the Granby area. You are lucky having access to it. But Wymeswold and Belper are great for £20 per year as a dark site member if you want company.

I'm quite anti social! Plus I like to be able to do everything out of the back of my car, and I suspect everyone carries their stuff from their cars to an observing area at the aforementioned sites. I can leave my car battery in the car and run the lead from it to the telescope and use the boot parcel shelf for the laptop so it's not fully exposed to the elements. All the interior lights are taped over unless they are red.

OK, I'll investigate a picnic table too! I'll need a camper van at this rate. Roll on the lottery win for the isolated house in the country where I can just build a massive observatory.

I'll have a look at the Maplin website now. Cheers.

James

The Maplins flight cases I have are filled with pick 'n' pluck foam that you can shape to your requirements simply by pulling the foam squares out. :)

I've just bought some foam in Nottingham to do my eyepiece case. I have seen loads of pics on SL and CN and decided it was about time to do my own properly.

Where did you source the foam Angus?

I need to redo my case as it has been bodged over the years when I've changed eps and other bits and bobs.

One case full of foam. Maybe not the best type but what I could get hold of. I got it from the indoor market on Victoria Centre on Nottingham. There is a man in there that will cut to size, I measured the inside of my case and it fitted with no trimming. I now need a knife sharp enough to cut the holes...