• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Moonwatch 2013 report

cosmic dave

A big thanks to those that attend our moonwatch night 16/2/13 @ Gibraltar Point, Lincolnshire. People started arriving at dusk to set up their scopes, it was a cool but clear evening with very little wind and a little cloud floating around.

The moon was already high in the sky and Jupiter was also very well placed for observation. Most people switched between these two celestial objects all night. The moon was half illuminated and offered very good views, several peaks and lots of crater detail was obvious to the eye, you could easily see the mountains on the limb of the unlit (earth-shine) side of the moon. The seeing was not great with dew once again becoming a problem as the night progressed,  Jupiter now past its best was not showing the usual details we all agreed. Several meteors were spotted and there was a lot of aircraft activity leaving the usual vapour trails.

All in all we had a very good night we did finish rather early I was the last to leave Gibraltar Point at 10pm, We had 9 people attend the furthest distance traveled was astro muppet who came over from Lincoln for the second week running.

Once again a big thank you it was nice to see everyone again. I hope we can make this an annual event it was nice to be able to spend a few hours studying the often neglected moon.

David

Sorry I missed it, but the Moon looked good this evening from Gib Point as we were leaving!!

Cheers

Ron

Nice report Dave, gutted i could not go due to the problem with the van. Sounds like you had a good turn out.

Guest Turtleboy

Great report Dave. Thanks for letting me have another go with your scope. It helped me make my mind up that I definitely want a dob. In fact I've just bought a 10" so hopefully I won't be coming to the next meet empty handed. :D

Guest Justinshaw

good report Dave

was a great night, really enjoyed myself

looking forward to next meet, nice to be around so many friendly people with same interest :) 

Guest CB53KLB

Nice report, really enjoyed it again, a really friendly bunch of folks! :)

My home made blue peter style dew guard worked perfectly, and I got on a lot better with the red dot finder, and had no problems with power, thanks to my romantic valentines jump starter :wub:  Now if only I can the flippin synscan to work properly, last resort is going to be flashing it, but got to get another cable first, as the one that came with it doesn't fit our laptop.

Looking forward to the next meeting in march, with cake!!

Tobias, was a good one at weekend, and well chuffed with the scope :)

saw Jupiter with its bands and 4 of its moons, well good

That's great to hear! Did you manage to get the red dot aligned on it? That was something that I had to have a mess about with to get done! (and I think I left the plastic thing in the box that I used; in case you needed it) 

Guest Justinshaw

going to have a good play with that during the day, its not too far out, managed to find Jupiter and the moon

only problem was one of the eye pieces is broken, happen to be only one I took with me, so need to check the others out, luckily got a spare one off one of the guys

Which one was that?  :o

I swear they were all fine, I only used them last week to check they were ok and they have been sitting in that bubble wrap since! Sorry to hear!

Guest Justinshaw

The 10mm one, the second lens inside isn't there,

its not a problem, I have a replacement, and the scope is still a very good deal, which I am incredibly happy with so thank you :)

Oh that's weird! If I had noticed I would have said! (Glad its not the 25mm, that's the superior one in my opinion)  Nice too you're enjoying it though :D