• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Frieston Shore & Gibralter Point 17.02.13.

Doc

Today Ron, Ibbo, James my son, and myself went to Frieston Shore and Gibralter Point in Lincolnshire for a day of bird watching. We went in Ron's car and started the day at Frieston Shore. 

Fantastic place with so many waders to see, we didn't keep any lists but amoungst the birds were Dunlins, Godwits,  Curlews, Common gulls, Goosanders, Mergansers, Scoters, Shoverlers, Gadwell, Little Egrets, and Teal to name a few. The highlights were a lovely Peregrine Falcon and a male and female Hen Harrier. The male Hen Harrier was a first tick for us as I have never seen the lovely grey and black raptor before.

At Gibralter point on the sandbank we saw 31 seals not sure if they were Common or Grey but who cared they were fantastic to watch. Once again so many waders to watch. Highlight was a hunting Barn Owl that we watched for at least 30 minutes.

This really got me thinking about a better birding scope as I had so much fun.

All in all a great day and thanks to Ron for organising it.

Sounds like a great day mick-beautiful weather for it too.

Edited by catman161

Yes it was if a little chilly to the hands(note to self bring your gloves you numpty)

hopefully nearer to sorting a workable setup with the camera

thanks for the day chaps

Edited by Ibbo