• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Lincolnshire beach structure what is it?

Doc

Just browsing google maps looking for places to view while I'm down my caravan I came accross this formation on the beach. It's on the border of Lincolnshire so just wondered if our Lincolnshire members knew what it was.

It looks like a stone circle but I doubt if it is. I cannot find any info on it at all via google.

The co-ords are 

just copy that into Google maps and it will appear.

TIA

The object that looks like a stone circle, yellow sandy colour circle on beach not the out at sea.

I'm sure it's a part of the bombing range 

Hi Mick, trying to do some research as I love this sort of stuff, to me it looks like a henge, 2 rings of stone circles with a inner structure.

Confused as it is on the beach, but thousands of years ago it would of been inland, looks very well preserved though which is making me wonder.

If you pan out a bit and look in the 4 o clock position, there appears to be a barrow or burial mound which is very, very close to the sea.

I thought it was that you were referring too.

I've seen that one to.

As you say too well preserved for no info to be available if it was a henge, my money is on a bombing range.

Look at the henge and move very slightly towards the 4 o'clock position, on full mag you can see a boat stranded, I would say another bombing target.

First though was that they had rebuilt Seahenge, but that was at Holme, near Hunstanton. On the track to the N you can just see some target vehicles for the Marham/Holbeach bombing range. The other object further out to the SE is supposedly the remains of a test reservoir built a long time ago when the feasibility of damming off the Wash was being considered.

Alan, so to the south east of Mick's initial query (the stone circle) at about the 4 o clock position, is that the test reservoir?

And is all that sand or has vegetation started to take hold on the delta?

According to an info link on Google Earth, yes. More info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Trial_Bank and here http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/articles/2008/10/08/abandoned_wash_feature.shtml

Most of that area is mud flats, I think. I've got a customer (Geest at Holbeach St Marks) near there, but every time I've been I've never seen the sea, despite its proximity - the land is so flat. Aerial photos were probably taken to coincide with low tide, which would explain the colours, mostly algae, etc.

So is Mick's query a bombing test run site or a stone circle?

I`m shocked if it is the latter?

Guest Steve

Quite clear craters in a south-east to north-west angle - i.e. grazing the coast at that point. Also a second area just to the right - note the row of posts there and I think there is a one 'blown out' of the ground and lying on its side.

Also you can see that there is a second non-maintained circle of identical size about 4 diameters to the south-west with a similar pattern of craters. Maybe this one was too close to the land?

And looking a little to the south there are rows of markers running up to the circle.

I wouldn't be going there for a picnic! But it might be fun sitting around with some binoculars to watch them dropping things on it!

Wow thanks guys I've found my own bombing range.

Would be great to sit there with a good camera and lens, I bet the views are awesome.

Wow thanks guys I've found my own bombing range.

Would be great to sit there with a good camera and lens, I bet the views are awesome.

Half land/half sky or half sea/half sky, depending on which way you are facing!

Local nail salon/hair salon.

That is a worry!

Who's sharing a tent with him??  :ph34r:

You get 10% discount if you mention EMS.

What was the address again???  :D