• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Corrector Cleaning Marks

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Cleaned my corrector today as noticed some sticky (possibly) pollen sappy stuff on it after giving it a blow with air blower to de-dust a bit - used wonder fluid very carefully after reading up on it, and it has come up really well (I believe that was the right stuff to use based on what people had said on here and SGL).  All I am left with is a couple of very light cleaning marks right next to the secondary housing which I cannot shift - the rest looks quite good I think.  Is it worth worrying about these or will visual not suffer?

Did all my EPs too with wonder fluid and a lens pen - blimey that stuff is good!

Guest CodnorPaul

I know Pat - it was not a spur of the moment decision but it was caked in sticky stuff that had covered it and almost smeared, dont know how.  Did a lot of reading on here and SGL and the common concensus was wonder fluid would be OK on it so I thought why not.  To be fair it has come up a treat - completely clear, and the glass/coating looks OK.  It is not something I will plan on doing again but reading various things it does appear that it is a task that could need doing every few years.  Real test will be next time its clear!

Method was blower, brush, blower, then spray and wipe doing a small section at a time