• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Solar imaging

dawson

I've ordered a sheet of Baader solar film from FLO and a cap to fit it into and plonk on the end of my skywatcher 127 mak-casesegrain scope.

I'm now in bed reading "observing the solar system" by North and he's just said never use anything other than a refractor or reflector for solar.

Is this still true? He says any other scope has plastic bits inside which may melt ir burn ir glue will melt....

Thanks

James

Ignore this question. He's now just said if you use an over aperture filter, any telescope can be used as the heat doesn't get inside.

Sorry for the needless question.

If someone clever is passing they can just delete all of this.

James

I was going to come to yours again Ron and get you to help me; looking at your back garden you must have a Blue Peter badge or two!

:)

James

I was teasing. I plan to have a got at making it this weekend if it arrives; i'ce ordered a plastic cap for a ring of the film to sit in so i can't imagine it will take me too much effort, just need to check auperglue doesn't disaolve the film too easily!

I hadn't thought about the finder scope! Not sure how i'll make a nice snug cap for that with aome filter material in but i'll have a think.

Where does the green filter need to go? I was going to use my canon dslr at prime focus to try and capture some images.

James

Be very careful viewing the sun - it can be dangerous if the filters aren't right, and you can damage your eye instantly leaving you blind forever - never mind over heating and damaging the scope.

That said - it can be quite safe using solar film like Baader so long as there are no perforations in it - check for pinholes and small rips every time it's used and ensure it covers the full aperture and is fixed firmly to the scope so it can't be knocked off or blown off in a gust of wind. Also cover or remove the finder scope to prevent accidentally looking through it.

You'll need to have a way of finding the sun which can be surprisingly difficult the first time you come to do it. You can get proper solar finders - or some folks do it by observing the shadows cast behind the scope. These methods involve looking away from the sun. :)

James, Pat was referring to the finder scope and the fact it should be REMOVED, that way, if you are distracted and go to look through it, you won't blind yourself.

You only have 1 pair of eyes, please be careful.

Also, remember to check your finished product for holes in the sheet.

This is my personal opinion but I would buy a proper made one for something like this. People in the past have made cracking good solar filters themselves, but my eye sight is something I would never gamble on.

Thanks all. I will take the finder scope off and be sure to check the integrity of the filter before using it each time. I'm not planning on doing much (if any) visual, just wanted to play with imaging.

Are there any specific tips about imaging with a DSLR of the sun? ISO, shutter speeds, or simply a trial and error. I'd read in my book last night one can take video again and use Registax. I'll have a go at that too.

But solar imaging relies as much on clear skies as any other astronomical imaging so I still may not get chance to do much.

James

I struggled with my old Mak on solar images, got lots of internal reflections and focusing was a nightmare.

My best shots were with a Canon 400mm L series lens and 1.4x converter and Baader film.

Well i don't have the Baader film yet or the telescope cap and as Steve said, there's no sun!

James

Here is my first attempt. It's in my galary with the settings I used.

I'll post a picture of my solar filter too, which was easy to make, but as others have said, the film is really flimsy, and would be dead easy to tear or puncture. It's been really windy and the conditions weren't great but there was some sun and I was gagging to test it out.

Finding the sun was the hardest part. I am going to make a mini solar filter for my finder scope for next time.

The largest sun spot isn't a sun spot, it's a gremlin which I need to find.

In all I'm quite pleased, and looking forward to a sunny warmer day when I can play a bit more. I hadn't realised I was going to get the whole of the sun in frame, BackYard EOS was showing me a preview which wasn't the same as the final images.

THe other thing I was impressed by was the tracking on the mount. I'd just carried it out into the garden, pointed north (ish) and levelled the telescope parallel to the ground, turned it on and turned on solar tracking rate, and then when I found the sun it was tracking like a dream! I was amazed.

James

Looking at the size of it, its more likely to be on the corrector lens.

I'm pretty sure the gremlin isn't on the DSLR sensor as I had a good look down in live view when the mirror was up and it looked crystal clear.  I can't see anything obvious on the front of the scope or on the home made solar filter.

Hopefully it won't be there next time, else I'll have to Photoshop it out of the way!

James

If you hadn't said anything I would have thought it was a sunspot! Nice image James-good stuff

Can you not just take a photo of a blank wall, removing filters etc as you go. Might be able to pin down where the blob is.

I never really thought about the sun, but the other week i was reading something and the images of the sun were amazing, so it took my fancy. Clearly these are insignificant compared with what proper amateurs do, but i'm really pleased with my first attempts and looking forward to have another go and trying with my webcam too for a laugh!

James

My DSLR keeps turning off when I'm trying to image the sun.

Might the sensor be getting too hot and it's a protective mechanism? I tried both my DSLRs and they both did it. I rebooted the laptop and BackYward EOS to minimize that a cause of confusion.

Any ideas?

James

Today's attempt:

1/250th second at ISO 100.

Edited by dawson