• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Winter Depression

Sunny Phil

OK, there are many external reasons I'm feeling low at the moment and I won't bore you with the details.

I just seem to be stuck in a rut that I can't get of. I think if I could get out under the Sun or night sky and have a good gaze and use  various imaging devices it would cheer me up but it's just not going to happen.

As I'm ill, I can't even take my dog out for a decent walk, so I'm stuck indoors.

As a chronic depressive, I understand a lot of what drives it (will expand if anyone's interested) and lots of people I know have had issues with it. One common cause is lack of daylight in the winter months.

Iam with you there Phil. Every time I get right, I end up with another problem. Getting over a chest infection now, What next!

I agree with the sunlight idea. When we had that nice afternoon the other day, it really made me feel good, just feeling the warmth was good.

I like dark nights, but I love sunny days.

I think it is human nature for our moods to fluctuate, in short term, medium term, and long term. I think the lack of sunlight is a real issue for millions of people, and probably has an evolutionary origin relating to hibernation and shutting unnecessary system down.

There are lots of reports of that false sun light perking people up during the winter, but I've no personal experience of that.

The summer is just around the corner.

I hope things perk up.

James

Thanks, Folks. Any tips on where to get a SAD light? I find I get daylight when I walk my dog or when I'm out Sungazing.

Hi Phil,

This site might have something to help from a different angle and complement the SAD light...

http://www.hypnosisaudio.com/

Years ago one of Glenn Harrolds CDs helped me with insomnia, another helped me with depression after the death of my parents. He even does one that helps some of my nervous pupils cope with their driving test. No guarantees, but might be worth a try.

I was very skeptical, but I do believe they help to some extent and definitely calm the mind and put a slightly different perspective on things.

Cheers.

I'll try these suggestions, thanks. As for CAD, apart from being able to set up an amateur radio dish, it helps if you have other interests that you can pursue. Browsing stuff on the web helps and there's a few links on my website to other places but I agree, browsing is no substitute for the real thing.

I remember my daughter once telling me that I could see the Moon on the web and I didn't need to see and photograph it myself!

SAD is a family thing with us and my being diagnosed celiac revealed a few interesting things. As a celiac my body cant process calcium properly therefore I have to take supplements but ifI dont take vitamin D (which the body produces as a result of exposure to sunlight) my body still wont process the calcium. Therefore I started taking vitamin D supplements and every time the sun shines Im out there basking.

Since doing this regime and no longer working in a dim artificially lit office all week things have improved considerably.

Apparently the body stores vitamin d up during summer to use during the winter months thus if you dont get out often enough in winter your reserves will deplete rapidly causing the associated problems. This advice was from my nutritionalist and has worked for me. Using lamps helps the body produce vitamin d and can only help. I used them in my office and they did help a bit but for me d supplement and fresh air works best

It'd take a LOT of starlight to trigger vitamin D. Maybe, just maybe, the reflected light from the Moon might help a bit.

I'm feeling a bit better than I did when I made the original post, though.

Excellent news, I'm pleased to hear that.

Thank you for starting the thread, things like this do need talking about, but there is too much stigma and lack of understanding attached to it.

Excellent news, I'm pleased to hear that.

Thank you for starting the thread, things like this do need talking about, but there is too much stigma and lack of understanding attached to it.

Thanks. It is a lot more common than many people realise. If I am honest I have a predisposition to it but I find certain things (or lack of them) trigger it and others keep it at bay. Much of it (in my case) is from decreasing health as I get older.

I was taught depression, and probably other related illnesses have three components:

1. Predisposing factors; essentially the way you are built (genes)

2. Triggering factors; events which precipitate a depressive event (illness, loss of job etc)

3. Maintaining factors; things which are on going and which are a continual burden (on going illness, ongoing unemployment etc)

Not sure this adds much to discussion, just something which came to mind.

Glad you are feeling begter.

James

I was taught depression, and probably other related illnesses have three components:

1. Predisposing factors; essentially the way you are built (genes)

2. Triggering factors; events which precipitate a depressive event (illness, loss of job etc)

3. Maintaining factors; things which are on going and which are a continual burden (on going illness, ongoing unemployment etc)

Not sure this adds much to discussion, just something which came to mind.

Glad you are feeling begter.

James

I can answer for myself:

1. I've never been a "happy, jolly" sort of person. I have a sense of humour but it often masks the dark side

2. a) winter B) My Dad being terminally ill

3. Being chronically short of money and the uncertainty that if I get made redundant from this job, I'll be as good as retired

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, James. I'm on tablets and I've got some vitamin D tablets. I felt a  bit better today when the Sun was out and I even saw a sunspot through my binoculars. I'm off this week but not doing much, as we don't feel like going far in the bad weather. No dosh to go away.

My dad has got better and he may last years rather than months but he's not going to walk unaided again. I know he's 84 and understand he won't go on forever but it's hard to see him slide downhill.

Well again, i'm glad you are more perky. Hopefully the tablets and solar waves will start to brighten things up. I love having time off and pottering around at home.

All the best.

James