• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jon Culshaw to join Sky @ Night team on BBC

RonC

He'll be a refreshing aspect of the program cos he's got a genuine serious interest in astronomy and a light hearted humorous way about him. I think his presence will attract a lot of interest to our hobby, which is great imho. :)

(Thank goodness they didn't pick Wossy lol)

I'm reserving judgement on this until I have watched a few episodes with him on. He seems properly into astronomy with his 12 inch dob that he had on stargazing live.

If it was Wossy I'd agree with you guys - but I'm prepared to give John a chance - he'll likely only have a short q/a slot anyway. :)

Mixed feelings about this. On one hand, there's no doubting his enthusiasm for the subject and his popularity could rub off. On the other hand, the main reason for him being involved originally was his ability to impersonate Sir Patrick. If he were to continue that, would it be considered good taste? The programme needs a continuity presenter, which is largely what Sir Patrick did, particularly in his later years. I still think Brian May could have taken on that role?

Alan

It will be interesting to see how the program changes for better or for worse.

Without SPM at the helm it will certainly be very different, but hopefully it keeps on inspiring peoples interest.

I think Sir Patrick is a sad loss but I like the idea of having lots of co-presenters, which started before he died. Dr :Lucie Green has been another great addition to the team and I'm not just biased because we share a common interest in the Sun.

I say don't knock him until he's done something. I think they need a layman in there, to ask the questions the normal astronomer would ask. Also he has the personality to disarm the intellectual strutting  that sometimes goes on. 

He has a genuine interest, so lets see how he does. Good luck to him, the show needs an anchor.

Guest Steve

Just as long as he doesn't 'dumb it down' to make it 'more accessible' and all that cr*p. Sir Patrick knew his stuff and asked insightful questions - will JC be able to do this???