• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Getting excited

Guest twintin

Guest twintin

Because tomorrow I'm picking up a c8-n on a cg5 go to for a very very good price. Can't wait. Just have to decide then wether to keep the mak127 or the c8-n not sure I can afford to keep both? So will have to see how I get on with the newt. Hoping for at least a bit of clear sky!!!

It's a good wide-field reflector, and will let a lot more light in than the Mak.

The C8 will let you see more objects than the MAk, and should get you down to around Mag 14, with good dark skies.

The Mak is a great scope, but the C8 is a bit more versatile.

Enjoy which ever scope you choose. :)

Guest twintin

Thanks chaps, it is a conundrum. I'm planning on building a ror shed in summer so that may have some bearing on the decision. I have an st80 as a grab and go so it really will depend on what I can see through the newt compared to the mak. Decisions decisions

Guest twintin

Well it's here, you really don't appreciate from a picture how big the setup is! Just need a clear sky and work out how to collimate it. Can this be done by eye? Or do I need to spend more money on a tool?

Daz, in the dvd i watched yesterday the guy, damian peach, did his collimation by eye but he was using a SCT. He took a bright star out if focus and centred the brightest middle bit bang on in the centre of the rings with the little screws. Is this only something he does? And is this something which can only be done with a SCT?

James

Guest twintin

laser collimator arrived today, so looks like a bit of "teach yersen collimation" on the cards. Have noticed a very small chip on the back of the secondary but i don't think it will affect anything. Just need some clear sky to have a bash at! Also noticed the plastic cases to the motors have broken screw fixings so need to sort a repair. Does anyone know if you can buy replacements?