• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Touchscreen, then book... Then touchscreen, then book... It's madness!

Craig

As a relative newby to stargazing one of the big challenges I have found is learning the constellations. Without such knowledge the star charts are a nightmare because everything relates to the constellation it resides in.

My solution?

A smart phone or iPad for starters, followed by a star chart for the main and some superb observing for desert.

I start out with my iPad (a mobile would do) and load my favourite app. At the mo, I am hooked on Star Walk and Safari 3+. Pointing the device at a constellation reveals it's name to me, so now I know what I am looking at. I then dump the device and turn to the trusty sky charts that everybody swears by, and start looking for interesting objects within those constellations.

It's not exactly a textbook approach to learning, but I have the technology with me so I am putting it to good use whilst still learning to read those busy star charts.

Well, it works for me. :D

Ha ha! Thats so weird I do exactly the same thing!! That and sit looking at stellarium on my laptop before I go to sleep.

I try not to use my iPhone (star walk) if I have been out for more than half an hour so I don't ruin my night vision though.

I say whatever gets us, and more importantly keeps us progressing ha got to be a good thing-surely?

Felix

You can get Stellarium for Ipads - Di has it on hers - and it has a "night time" mode so it's all in black and red. Dead usefull for stargazing and star parties - the technology these days really rocks :)

I have stellarium and star walk on my iPhone and they both have a night function. Very cool indeed :)

How was the Space Center tonight Felix? Looks like Woolaton went down a storm - they had to close the gates cos so many attended :)

I have...

• Star Walk
  • Stellarium-XL
  • Star Chart
  • Sky Safari
  • GoSkyWatchP
  • Sky Week

All really good apps.

i have to use Stellarium on pc and google sky with andriod phone, i`ve got a rubbish head for names, unless it`s ovious i`ve no chance, i usually type the object i want to see into Stellarium and off the mount goes, mostly to another object as my polar alignment is rubbish too L.O.L.

only just got the hang of it after two years ! was seriously thinking of a GPS system

How was the Space Center tonight Felix? Looks like Woolaton went down a storm - they had to close the gates cos so many attended

Unfortunately I didn't make it Kim. I didn't get back from work until 19:35! Really annoying day yesterday. Was in the labs separating blood components until 18:00 then traffic was a nightmare! A real shame as was supposed to be meeting up with Dan (fluke)

It wasnt bad at the space centre. There were probably around 70 people their at its peak.

I went with my boss's family and they were enthused enough by what they saw that they want to buy a scope like mine :)

It wasnt bad at the space centre. There were probably around 70 people their at its peak.

I went with my boss's family and they were enthused enough by what they saw that they want to buy a scope like mine :)

Brilliant more members for EMS potentially then? :)

Yes, get them registered! :lol: