• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cant find us google?

Celeste

Just thought I would see where on google we are, but I couldnt find us unless I put in *east midlands* ......I know that is our name, but putting Leics, Notts or Lincs astronomy doesn't bring us up. Are the cities in the metatags? Just wondering what the search terms are so people can find us easier ^_^

That's pretty much it. We need to be involved in our local cities and have relevant things to post about. We'd soon start showing up. :)

Do you think we will ever reach the size of SGL?

In a way, I kind of hope not, I know that sort of flies in the face of what we are currently trying to acheive, but I do find that with a local site such as this, it is a more close net community, all with an interest in the same thing with a greater chance of meeting up 3-4 times a year, rather than just being an avatar on the end of a laptop/pc.

I have allmost given up on SGL now as I prefer the "local" feel you get with EMS.

I doubt we'll ever reach the proportions of SGL Darren. It would be great to have an active for sale section and plenty of traders ads and offers. And fabulous to share with others who find us interesting and just want to hang out and chat astro.

But I reckon our most appealing feature will allways be a warm friendly and inviting local group where folks can come and join in the observing sessions, whatever there equipment, and whatever their level of experience, from total newbie to long standing expert. :)

I doubt that too and, honestly, I wouldn't want to be that big.

EMS is small and has a nice cosey community feel to it. That's how we should keep it. This doesn't mean we don't want new members and more activity levels, but it means we're not empire building either. I might be speaking beyond my bounds here, but that's how I see it.

SGL is a great national (and international) resource that should be supported, whereas we're a small niche community site that should also be supported.

My two cents, anyway. :)

Yeah, I agree with what you and Kim say, I just find that the bigger the forum, the more it loses it's identity and as it is now, I think this site is awesome, full of knowlegable, friendly people who go out of their way to help others who are new to this wonderful hobby / obsession.

I know this is the ethos that the mods/admins etc were looking for, long live this EMS!

I know this is the ethos that the mods/admins etc were looking for, long live this EMS!

Ditto that sentiment!

I started off as a mod on SGL when it was half the size it is now and even then it was hard work.

A lot of people don't see the effort it takes to run or mod a very large forum, when

I left they had over 10k in members and to me it becomes a chore to mod it.

I would like maybe 1000 members but a core of deep sky members of maybe 100.

This way it is still personal and welcoming.

An active for sale section would also be good, one that moderates itself.

i think what we have here is a forum for local i.e. east midlands area stargazers, we all know, or have meet each other or will do with our local meets and can share practical hands on face to face help as well, as Kim has been helping Felix out with his new gear, i`ve been to Noels house loads of times and Micks also, having a beer in the back garden with everyone looking up for a couple of hours and talking about kit and stuff, it`s not something that can be done on a national site. if someone needs help with something i`m sure that local people would be more than willing to jump in the motor and pay them a visit.

it`s also great that the starparty events we`re all together in the same area, SGL6 was very good, and at Kelling we`ve had the same area for the past two years.