• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Looking for Panstarrs

Tweedledee

• 3 weeks later...

C/2011 L4 Panstarrs is also visible from about 3am on the Eastern horizon now. (29/03/13)

Noticed that on sky safari Andy, its more NE than E :) at 4am it will be 47.3, 11.4 Tempted to try catch it at those times if early evenings keep failing

Guest wisewoman

I jusr managed to spot Panstarrs in my 10X50 binoculats a short while ago today.

I'm really pleased as never again, in my lifetime, will my eyes look upon it... what a thought!

Don't you just love these mind boggling, 'out-there' space thoughts?! :D

Melissa

Seen it this evening.

Couldn't have put it in a more tricky position myself. Add the final glow of the setting sun, together with the tinge of orange from Nottingham, mix in a little lighting from nearby houses, and there we have a hardly visible little comet.

Still well worth the searching with the 9x60's

Nothing came out from the SLR pics :(

I first saw comet Pan STARRS on 29 Mar from Tesco Loughborough car park with 10 x 50 bins. I went out without a map so scanned the sky and it took about 45 mins or more before I realised I had found it at about 8pm UT. I traced down from the right hand V in Cass. I thought at first I was just seeing M31, but when I moved up and saw M31, I went back to the faint wisp of light and I could see it was elongated, the tail pointing slightly to the 1 o'clock position (by averted vision). Images with Canon Ixus wide angle just managed to catch it.  This was the first time I'd done any simple imaging for ages, and with the cold, when I went into Tesco, I nearly collapsed with not being able to walk well - my feet were numb.  I think I need a few tips on appropriate clothing. I could see the comet again on 30 Mar from same location. That time, I wore cowboy boots which insulated my feet and used fingerless gloves stuffed with Little Hotties (sachets that heat up by shaking - some mix of iron oxide, salt, cellulose). They helped. Here's my first humble record of the comet. You may have to expand it out to see it. I've cut the area out and tried to enhance in Irfanview, then paste it back (see inset).

Edited by Orion

PS - I had uploaded the file (size 281 kb) but for some reason, the file size seems to be about a tenth that???

Great write up. I love the "analytical chemists" interpretation of what's inside the little hotties :)

James

Guest ben72

a bit late in the day to post this as panstarrs is now circumpolar,

but for those still hoping to see it here is its predtcted path until may..

Great write up. I love the "analytical chemists" interpretation of what's inside the little hotties :)

James

Thank you James. Just for you, I'll bring you a pair of Little Hotties. I'm sure I could get the chemicals cheaper and make our own :) 

Whahooooo, sky is so clear tonight just seen Panstarrs through the binos as a very faint smudge to the right of Shedir and CAS-HIP 2505 A.