• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

12v DSLR

dawson

You can get adaptors cos dslr's tend to use around 7v iirc. Have a look at Berns website Modern Astronomy - I think he does them - we got ours from a trader at Kelling. You need the correct one for your camera cos it replaces the camera battery and they usually connect to a controller. :)

Oh also Astronomiser.

All i can find is battery chargers, no actual means to directly power it. I'll look again.

Thanks

James

No, can't find one on modern astronomy.

I've got numerous batteries, so my next soldering mission could be this! Good idea pat. I'll try not to get any solder bridges this time, don't want to blow the camera up!

James

Ah, thanks. My camera isn't listed but i'll think about contacting him.

It's interesting to read the camera copes with anything from 12v to 30v at 1.5A.

James

Guest Ely Ellis

James,

The 12v to 30v is NOT the camera, it is the supply to the camera power adapter. So if you go with Pat's suggestion, don't stick it directly on to 12 volts. Kim mentioned 7 volts, I think my 450d is 5 volts!

Cheers

Martin

I did think it was a very wide range. That's what you get for googleing on your phone in bed! I had planned to do more research first don't worry :)

I do like Pat's idea though. I wonder where the astronomialser hides the step-down circuitry as he sells a lead but it only consists of the 12v socket and the battery module which plugs into the camera.

I'll use the battery grip for now which can hold two batteries; but does add yet more weight to the eye piece end of the telescope for the poor mount to cope with.

James

From the astronomisers website:

"The 'battery' end is made from a generic battery - all inner components are recycled - there may well be some marks on the case made during disassembly, though all units are tested for fit and function. This is fitted with a regulator to supply the correct voltage. A cable is connected, positioned to come through the small rubber capped hole on the lip of the camera's battery compartment and this connects to a cigar lighter plug. The battery is re-sealed and can now be used with a Power Station, a car or leisure battery or a bench power supply. Any supply that gives between 12v and 30v at 1.25A will be sufficient to power your camera."

James

Felix, stop it :) I'm sure you've got shares in them!

I'm quite enjoying the fact i can just carry my mount and telescope out in one go, plonk it on the plastic feet i've tent pegged in the garden, level it slightly and plug in all the leads in about 60-120 seconds and it's not particularly difficult for my back.

While it's cold, Two star alignment can be done from the conservatory with all my extension leads trailing to the telescope, as i've learnt about the home position and finder-cam helps with this process, so that takes another 5 minutes max.

I'm just lazy and i'm enjoying my current set up. If i had more space, a wider outlook, a better back then yes i'd get an NEQ6 :) if i had darker skies and a better outlook i'd build an observatory.

I was amazed to see how much of M42 i could capture with my simplistic set up and without planning to image it the other night. I think i should exhaust my current capabilities before having a good think about the next step.

If you want to give me yours though... ;)

James

Guest Ely Ellis

James,

It looks as though that company are just doing what Pat suggests.

Get a cheap Chinese battery, removed the insides (the cells), then a simple 7.5v or 5v regulator is fitted inside, connected to the terminals and then a wire coming out which goes to your 12v battery or whatever supply.

Not sure if the £25 - £30 they want is reasonable or not. If you buy the bits from ebay, you may get away with it costing less than £10, but you would have to build it your self and dependent upon how competent you are with a soldering iron, it may just be better to buy a ready made one.

I was thinking of doing the same as Pat suggested, but not got round to it, although I found that my Canon battery lasts most of the night anyway and so a cheap spare Chinese battery would probably be good enough for a backup without having to butcher it to make it into an adapter.

I think what I will do is probably buy a cheap Chinese backup battery and when the cells fail, which they always do on these cheap ones, then butcher it.

Cheers

Martin

Martin

I think £25 or so it probably reasonable, seeing as he's got to get hold of the battery first and components and wire, do the work, and make a living.

I'm not bad with a soldering iron (despite my recent explosions) but I can imagine the astronomisers product would just look professional and be more robust than my attempt; he probably seals the leads in nicely, and re-seals the battery unit so it looks good and always slots into the camera well, and being better sealed would be less likely to get moisture inside.... For the sake of an extra £15 and no hassle I'm being more drawn towards the pre-made one :)

We'll see, I don't need to do this urgently, it was again just a thought as I ran out of battery the other night.

Thanks

James

Guest Ely Ellis

Just been looking at the site with the camera power supplies and noticed how good it is that Canon change their batteries for each model of camera.... nice of them. Nothing like keeping it standard! ;)

Yeah, I've got two Canons, and they have different batteries. They want to make sure we buy plenty of batteries, as I can't imagine they make much money on other consumables once they've sold you a camera. It also probably keeps the makers of non branded batteries on their toes.

James