• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet Panstarrs Tues 19th

Guest Fluke

Guest Fluke

I've finally seen Panstarrs through the cloud tonight low on the horizon :)

No chance with the naked eye, but 10x50 bins showed a similar amount of detail to the images seen on here so far. I would have struggled to have found it at all without my trusty SkySafari app.

What was more interesting though was a bright apparently static object I observed just to the left of the Plough at about 7:35pm. It was as bright as Jupiter for a couple of seconds before quickly disappearing again.

I assumed it was an Iridium flare but after checking on Heavens Above, it couldn't have been. Any ideas?

Anyway, very happy to finally see this one and will try to see again if we have any clear dusk evenings in the foreseeable (Weds evening looks promising in some forecasts).

Dan

Nice one Dan, I tried but failed to find it, didn't help theres a big orange street light right around where it should be :/

• 2 weeks later...

Well spotted Dan, I missed that one. I've seen some funny lights here before. Not sure what they were though.