• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Space Engineering

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Dead chuffed. My daughter just got accepted onto a unique course based out of Loughborough College. It's only the second year it has run and I'm so jealous it wasn't around when I was at school!

The National Space Centre and Loughborough College are launching a new Space Engineering programme for talented young people looking for an enhanced A-Level experience. Fifteen students from across the UK have been selected to join the country's first space engineering course.

Launching in September, with subjects including A levels in physics and maths and a BTEC level 3 diploma in engineering, the pioneering two-year programme aims to blend academic and vocational learning for 16 to 18-year-olds. It is backed by the UK Space Agency and the Institution of Engineering and Technology.

The UK space industry contributes £7.3bn to the UK economy and employs close to 19,000 people. This new and innovative course uniquely combines academic and vocational study with industrial experience and other exciting special features. It can lead to degrees in physics, mathematics and engineering and to employment in the space and engineering industries.

Anu Ojha, director of education and space communications at the National Space Centre, has presented sessions at Nasa conferences and European Space Agency teacher conferences, and has been selected as a "space ambassador" for the UK Space Education Office. "We have had to change the mindsets of students, parents, academic institutions and the industry. Now everyone is very excited," he says. "Students will have access to personnel and equipment which would be the envy of most sixth forms."

Thats brilliant news.

Well done to her :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now give her a year and maybe you can get her to write a piece for us on here.

Thats great. I wish it was around when I was a youth. I suppose there is always the chance i could get into the engineering side of space stuff eventually.

Guest Steve

I believe that as she gets taught at the National Space Centre in Leicester one day a week she gets an official staff-type top and a free access pass. I'll have to ask her to get an XXXXL so I can sneak in  :ph34r: