• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A suggestion

philjay

As we have quite a few newcomer members and maybe we will get more as a result of Stargazing Live how about the EMS do an introduction to the hobby at the CC in the near future?

I was thinking of a meet where we could have a quick intro to the hobby and gear. Then have a general Q&A session with the more experienced members helping the newcomers.

Also bring your new scope along and we will show you how to set it up and a brief intro into using it.

This can be done whatever the weather.

We could advertise a little further afield on SGL for any newcomers that arent in the EMS as well.

As to when it would be held, well it would need to be reasonably soon as to have the stargazing live impetus still with us and also have a decent dark night in case its clear. It's also be an excuse for another meet :)

I would bring the genny again, do the intro and even do a workshop

So what dya reckon

Phil

I reckon you have hit upon a great idea Phil.

If John could tell us when the CC is available and we can take it from there.

That's a cracking idea.

We would need to post in a lot of places to get the interest drummed up, but it would be well worth it.

Fantastic idea, if there is anything I can do to help (other than bring my scope) please let me know.

This time of year the club is available any night you fancy, but as Mick points out we do have to be mindful of car numbers.

Good idea though.

I don't think we need to do that unless we're expecting to accommodate a lot of cars (20?) they can park around the edge of the field and it is a big field.

I think with the members we have and any newcomers that are interested that would be enough because of the venue limitations, I wasnt thinking of a major event, just a helpful event that may raise awareness of the EMS elsewhere as well.

Perhaps we could do it a couple of times a year or at least every Stargazing Live week cos that looks like its a long term thing at the mo due to its popularity

Phil

How about saturday 28th jan?

If stargazing live does become an annual event then we could move our winter meet a couple of weeks to coincide.

Im up for coming along, I think I can make 28th Jan, whether I will have my scope by then or not will be decided by how quick I can make a decision on what to get :P

I wouldn't take a car space anyway as I'd most likely be dropped off by my parents.

sounds like a great idea Phil, although i might be hard up to make the 28th as i`m on lates but will work on it, cough, cough, i know there`s a few guys interested in a tutorial of how EQ mod works and is set up also, i know it`s alittle advanced for newcomers but i`m sure it could be added towards the end of the talks, maybe the evening could be broken down into talks about

1. mounts and how to set up
  2. different scopes and uses
  3. eyepieces
  4. different software and uses that are usefull

these seem to be some of the major issues new people to the hobby ask for advice on

just a thought.

I can do the 28th.

I will do an intro and take it from there. It all depends onwho comes and at what stage they are at, I dont want to do a basics intro when most folks already know where and what to look at.

That program Rob was similar to what I was thinking of and tailoring it to who comes.

Intro 15 mins

Scopes different types and what they are best at - 15-20 minutes ish

Mounts 15-20 minutes ish

Accessories - diagonals, eyepieces etc 10 mins

Putting it all together 15-20 minutes

Software, planetarium - demo 15 mins

Then for those who have brought their own scope along we can do individual teach ins with the more experienced members doing one to ones

How does that sound? The talks would have to be short cos theres alot of ground to cover but I reckon the hands on bit at the end may be the most popular bit

It can be all fluid and we can chop and change to suit who comes and what the weather is like

Phil

Edited by philjay

After introductions you could almost break off into 2 sub groups to save time. One for beginners and one for those who know a bit but want to get to the next level in their understanding.

So Sat 28th Jan it is then, the agenda looks great and I really think this could be a regular meeting, it's just what new astronomers need. I'll put up a thread in the anouncement section.

Guest Tweedledum

There are a lot of us involved in IT, with technology creeping in ever further into this hobby we could also have some sort of a Q&A bench for pc / mount interface & cabling??. Would be happy to assist.

Great stuff, As I said I will do the intro, any volunteers for the other sections?

scopes,

mounts,

accessories,

putting it together and setting up

Planetarium software

As I will have a car full of genny I can only bring a limited amount of kit can those volunteering maybe bring kit for what they will be talking about please?

The one to ones after the short talks will need a few experienced members, numbers depending on how many folks bring their kit? If there is only Felix with his 200 then he will have our undivided attention :)

Thanks for the offer Damian but I think maybe interfacing is a bit advanced for the object of the 28th however that would be a great subject for another meeting, how about it? :)

Phil

PS I will post on the SGLevents section

Edited by philjay