• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

1.25m lens

Big Al

Guest Steve

Errrm - wouldn't it have maybe done better if it had pointed upwards a little :huh:

Edited by Steve

Guest Kheldar

Errrm - wouldn't it have maybe done better if it had pointed upwards a little :huh:

Isn't that a mirror (at a diagonal) on the fourth image down?

It looks like it just projects an image, and the mirror is used to acquire the object, and project it down the tube onto a screen.

Cheers Alan.

There's some amazing stuff on that website. Never seen that one before, but it's on my favourites now, thanks.

Have been a big fan of the Retronaut site for a cople of years. It really can be a thief of time, though. If you like history and photography, also try shorpy.com.

Have been a big fan of the Retronaut site for a cople of years. It really can be a thief of time, though. If you like history and photography, also try shorpy.com.

You are right, I've just spent a thoroughly enjoyable 2 hours on that site. If anybody reads Clive Cussler novels, you'll find some unusual old vehicles on this site that feature in his books, like the snow cruiser and ironclads. Fascinating stuff. The shorpy site is also interesting, thanks.

Curious design - wonder if it would work today based on digital technology and correcting mirror arrays. Here's a bit more about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Paris_Exhibition_Telescope_of_1900

Very interesting. It is about F46. No wonder it was difficult to aim with a 3 arc minute field of view. I'm sure digital technology could sort that out. I'd like to find more details about the projection eyepiece. Looks like the projection screen must be about 15 metres across. With the image spread out to that size I would imagine the view would be pretty dim.