• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Can you recommend me a scope?

Daz Type-R

Well after hogging my scope every time she is round, the mother in law is now after a scope. She has set some limits etc, around £220, motorised (of some sort) and she wants to see planets and dso so will need a F5 scope (or there abouts). Any suggestions?

The ETX 80 has good optics but is let down by the goto, which appears to be built from tractor parts, it sure sounds like it!

They go for a bit more as well, around £250 - £270

They are only 400mm in focal length, so you don't get good views of planets.

I know, I have one.

I'd go with the one Doc put a link up for. I had a 130P for a while and the views were surprisingly good. And the Supertrack mount is just right for it - but beware it's tracking only - not goto. So you'll have to help her find stuff to keep the MIL sweet :)

Cheers chaps, just gave her these recommendations and she is over the moon (no pun intended) but it turns out, she does want a goto, that is the most important thing, good job I asked! Any more recommendations?

Thanks for all your help guys, we now have one very happy mother in law, ordered her the Skywatcher Explorer 130P syncscan AZ GOTO, she is chuffed to bits that it will find everything and then track it as well, thanks for all your help!

Now you need to get her a nice big fluffy fur coat to keep her warm on those icey nights - probably gonna cost more than the scope lol :)

Nice one Darren, just sit back and wait for aperture fever to kick in! ;)

Lol, well at least this time while she is hogging mine again I can at least look through hers rather than looking through nothing. :)

Just one thing before it arrives, I will (not doubt) be asked to set it up for her, will the date/time be in American format? seems to be a common mistake.