• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

On the coast or inland

Allan the Plumber

Just a quick one as mentioned in another post off to sunny Cornwall tomorrow ( that'll be a laugh)

Family live down there and using google street view I've found a NE facing car park about 1mile from Porthreath (sister lives there) facing sea no real light pollution and Porthreath is in valley so not much light from them

My question is with it being on coast is wind or sea spray in air going to effect veiwing would I be better heading in land stiller air etc

This question could be theoretic as the weather seem like it's going to be pants anyway

Just asking to see if anyone's got any experience in this field (sorry about that pun)

Cheers Allan

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Allan,

I'm from holyead in north wales. So looking at your scope if there is a breeze thats a decent sized sail you have there. If there is any seaspray in the air and lands on the mirror it will deposit salt on evaporation.....

Outweighed by magnificent dark skies and sea horizon.....If there is no cloud. My grabngo scope of choice was an ST120, snow, sand and dog slobber  proof, used to travel on backseat, boot or roofbox!..With an az3 / 4 great travel companion. Thats an awful lot of kit you have to transport if the weather wss pants.

Have a great trip.

Hi Allan

we have a place in cornwall.....the sea spray can travel a long ways, we are over 200yds from sea and our windows etc are always covered in salt and sea spray

As you will not be set up for long, that should not be a problem.  But imaging over water i think or near water is not as good as inland.  Just for viewing

i am unsure but would have thought drier less damp air would be better for seeing.  

But do watch the windy conditions as in a valley you could get high gusts. and with your 200p it would behave like a large sail.

Sheila

Hi Allan,

I'm from holyead in north wales. So looking at your scope if there is a breeze thats a decent sized sail you have there. If there is any seaspray in the air and lands on the mirror it will deposit salt on evaporation.....

Outweighed by magnificent dark skies and sea horizon.....If there is no cloud. My grabngo scope of choice was an ST120, snow, sand and dog slobber  proof, used to travel on backseat, boot or roofbox!..With an az3 / 4 great travel companion. Thats an awful lot of kit you have to transport if the weather wss pants.

Have a great trip.

snap!!! just posted too

Thanks Sheila and Damin for that, yeah a lot of gear your right, thanks for the feed back. All things considered weather, salt and wind I probably just set up in my sisters back garden. Looks like this week is going to be a cloud and rain fest again

I only thought of the car park as 1 it's location to my sister place and 2 a lack of light pollution.

With the OTA acting like a wind sock on a cliff top not best location

As you go to Cornwall Sheila do you know any good areas for dark sky observation its many years since I've lived down there

Thanks again looks like most of thegear will stay in the van

Happy Birthday again Sheila

Cheers Allan

Hi we are north cornwall near Padstow.  you are further down near Redruth so I am unsure of sites down there.

Anywhere inland away from main towns should be OK.  

Round were we are there is Bodmin Moor and the car park at the national trust place at Bedruthan Steps.

Sheila