• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Comet Panstarrs Today 28/03/2013

I can`t beleive my luck. Not only did i manage to at last see it visually from my garden with the bins, but rushed in like a mad man, got the canon and the tripod and managed to get this. A single 5 second exposure. Naturally cloud then covered it again. :(

Amazing, well done. I had a nose outside but there was too much cloud. I'm impressed with your image.

James

It 's still quite bright, Nice one Mark. I hope we get a few clear spells over the weekend it would be nice to see it.

Cheers guys, it was a very rushed attempt and as you can probably see in the image, the cloud cover was quite extensive but i got a luky break with the small gap in the clouds.

:clap2: Well done.  I got a look last week in the binos but had no chance of getting a shot at it.

What time did you take the shot and roughly how high in the sky was it ???

I imagine we are running out of time now !!!

Was it visible with the naked eye?

James

No but i do live in town and i was in my garden. Maybe it would be visible naked eye from a dark site? It was bright and very obvious in the 10x50 bins.

Good shot Mark, I've seen it in the bino's would love a photo oppotunity !! :)

:clap2: Well done.  I got a look last week in the binos but had no chance of getting a shot at it.

What time did you take the shot and roughly how high in the sky was it ???

I imagine we are running out of time now !!!

I took the image about 19.50 pm and it was about 12 degrees above the horizon. It will be visible for some time but just not so bright.

Good shot Mark, I've seen it in the bino's would love a photo oppotunity !! :)

Thanks Ron, i am hoping we can get a crack at it at our next meeting. Should make a lovely shot with the yachts in the foreground.

Terrific capture Mark - very well done :)

Thanks Kim, though Lady Luck was certainly holding my hand with this one. ;)

Great photo, you must be very pleased. I'd love to see it.

Just compared your image to Stellarium. You have captured stars just past 8th magnitude and the tail spans about one third of a degree in the image.

Very nice, I thought it was past its best, your picture proves otherwise.

Congrats.

Great photo, you must be very pleased. I'd love to see it.

Just compared your image to Stellarium. You have captured stars just past 8th magnitude and the tail spans about one third of a degree in the image.

Thanks Pete, interesting info also. To be honest i was in such a rush due to the cloud rolling inand having nothing ready as it was cloudy!! :blink: . I wish i had more time, it looked great visually.

Very nice, I thought it was past its best, your picture proves otherwise.

Congrats.

Thanks Daz, honestly i was amazed, it looked great. It may be passed it`s best but still it looked great. With the Moonrise getting later there should be some good chances to see it before it fades too much.