• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

AN EVENING WITH EAST MIDLANDS STARGAZERS

Doc

An evening with East Midlands Stargazers

Sat 28th Jan 2012 at 19.00

The Packhorse Ground

Sandyford Lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP.

We are having our very first question and answer session, this will be a chance for beginners and seasoned astronomers alike

to listen to some of our more experienced members discuss topics from the agenda below, later we will be having one to one sessions where beginners will be able to ask questions on anything that they do not understand regarding practical astronomy.

Agenda is as follows:

Phil Jaworek - Covering intro, mounts, scopes, putting it all together

Kim Robinson - Eyepieces and Barlows

Martyn Barry - Star hopping and basic navigation techniques

John Adams - Collimation using cheshires and laser collimators

Steve Ibbotson - Basic imaging techniques for the beginner

Damian Alstron-Regan - How to use Stellarium Planetarium software

Telescopes are very welcome and there is plenty of room to set up either inside or outside. If you do need advice on setting up your telescope, please bring it along and we will do our best to answer your queries.

Refreshments will be available, bring your own cup and a donation of £1 to cover costs.

Hopefully it will be clear so after the evening has finished why not have an observing session.

See you all there

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc

• Brantuk

• BAZ

• Craig

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should publicise this a little where we can, it's going to help newbies get into the hobby and stick with it.

I'd say do it, and one on SGL if it won't ruffle any feathers?

I'm not privvy to the workings of SGL, but we've mentioned them a fair few times on here and refer folks to the site. I think this should be acceptable.

Just one question, is this the same belper dark site, so would it use my free first visit, if so thats fine, just wanted to check

Also can someone link me a google map link with exact location because if I put postcode in its like a good 100m or so further from if you put the name of the place in or the road name.

Just one question, is this the same belper dark site, so would it use my free first visit, if so thats fine, just wanted to check

I think the main purpose is to get to know us, that's all. I can't see anybody worrying if you pop down on a separate night for observing (standing in the dark with us!). :)

post-332-0-32074600-1442415650_thumb.jpg

Eddy anyone is allowed member or not. I would imagine one of us will meet new members in the Hurts Arms as normal.

No volunteers yet for sharing the short talks. Its not intended that they be involved, just 15 minutes on the dead basics, you know - this is an altaz mount it goes round and round and up and down orthoganally, this is an eq mount it still goes up and down but the round and round axis is tilted - etc

Im ok to do all the short talks if no one wants to chip in but just give me a bit of notice :)

My car will be full of genny etc so I wont be able to bring any kit so if Im doing the intro talks I will need examples of kit to point at

We already have a few dobs and a mak, Micks bringing a refractor, can someone bring an eq mount please?

Oh and can someone bring some petrol for the genny, I will provide the 1st tank full but that will only last an hour or so.

Phil

Regarding car numbers, if people are meeting up at the Hurt arms, maybe car sharing up to the club might be a good idea.

Regarding car numbers, if people are meeting up at the Hurt arms, maybe car sharing up to the club might be a good idea.

Good idea John, although people who are bringing kit, may struggle with that, as my kit takes up the boot and back seats, so not much room for bodys.

Phil I'll set up both the EQ5 and the refractor in front of the members for yourself to do a short talk about these. The problem we have Phil is you are to damn good at talking it puts everyone else in the shade.

Btw do we need any petrol for the genny.

I think Rusty will do a talk on collimation.

I was planning a dob workshop, but I can slap the 200p back on the EQ5 and do a talk on setting that up plus collimation.

Btw do we need any petrol for the genny.

We have duplicate conversations going off Mick, Phil has asked for petrol on the other thread in general discussions, I have no means of bringing any petrol (don't even own a fuel can - tut tut) but I have no issues with chipping in a fiver or something......

Sorry Mick, just re-read my post, the first part of it sort of comes across like i`m having a go, I'm not, sorry if that is how it seemed. :unsure:

(Note to self - must be clearer.............)