• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

AN EVENING WITH EAST MIDLANDS STARGAZERS

Doc

Good thinking, I believe somebody has all ready asked if we can all park closest to the hedge on the road upto the club house, also, if anybody has to leave early, then we don't have 20 odd cars to shift.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doc

• Brantuk

• BAZ

• Craig

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try and park people so we don't get grid locked, and so if people want to leave then no one else is blocking anyone in.

Iam going to try herding our cats for my next trick. :D

We have conflicting reports from the weather sites some say its going to be clear (metoffice) others show it as hazy patches between cloud. So I think we need a plan A and B :)

If it looks to be clear and staying that way for a while I propose we make the most of it, A clear sky will be fantastic for my intro and Martyns star hopping talk

Plus if the kit is set up outside then even better I can just wander around and point at gear as Im explaining.

Plan A - If its clear / ish

How about the intros and scope stuff outside then the intro to imaging and software can be done inside.

Then 1 to 1s can be outside or inside whatever the questions are.

Plan - B - If its cloudy or raining then everything indoors but we may have to organise scopes at one end of the room to be out of the way if we have to cram 40 people in there.

What dya reckon

Phil

I can do my Collimation talk outside with the laser, the cheshire will be pretty useless in the dark but at least I can try a star test

Maybe if everyone is there for 7, then set up outside then talks for a hour till 8ish then it still gives lots of time outside for one on one and stargazing,

Are we on about splitting the talks then, do some outside while others happen inside, or is one going to follow the other, I would of liked to listen to them all.

I'll start talking at 7 no matter whos there :D Theres alot to get through we have the equivalent of 9 talks fitting those into 1 hour between 7 - 8 will be pushing it we can tailor it to suit tho. From experience folks will be drifting in anytime after 7 as well.

My 1st lot will be pretty swift, I said 15 mins each subject I have 3 subjects but I will reduce the time if I can. Anyone wanting more info can have a chat afterwards.

Edited by philjay

Same here - quick intro to eyepieces for 15 mins - then come and chat if you want to know more after the talks are finished :)

Guest Ely Ellis

I'm pretty interested in listerning to ALL the talks.... Knowledge is everything...

Managed to put the missus off, told her I would be standing around in a cold damp field for 4 to 6 hours!

Less than 4 hours to go!

Guest BigTfromNotts

Scope is in the boot of the car. Mug is in the glove compartment. Ready to go. Will set off about 6. Scope should have cooled down enough by the time I set it up. lol

Grrrrrrrrr, I have took a massive dislike to cloud over the last year. Scope in car, mugs in car, ready to go.

Bloody Ell!!!!1

Only just seen this and we going out for a meal.... buggerysticks!

Oh well, maybe next time, its looking very clear too - just had an hours session on Venus

Guest Bryndalf

Fantastic evening! I counted 30 people at one point. A big thanks to all that gave talks & demoed scopes, and to Martyn for his brew service.

Even though the clouds decided to show up, Jupiter, Mars and orion were all visible for a while. There were some great discussions about scopes including some great scope mods.

Looking forward to the next meeting...but must remember thicker socks next time.