• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew Bands

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

Is there a more technical way to tell if your dew bands are working rather than just cranking the heat up?  Reason I ask is last night my corrector plate dew band felt slightly warm to the touch after using for a few hours, but my newly purchased 2" EP dew band didnt feel warm at all inside or outside the band.  The controller is a Revelation 4 port 2 channel controller and I was running both from the one channel so they should have been getting the same voltage.

I wouldn't know how to check electronically - some sort of avo meter I guess - but I would experiment at home first. Pop each band on a different port first and see if they both warm up - then try both on the same port and see what happens. If the eyepiece one doesn't warm up as well then try it without the larger band - entirely on it's own to see if it's actually working. :)

I would suggest running it off the other channel, just so you have more control over it. Then you know if it's working.

Guest AstroOlly

They should feel slightly warm to the touch, even on low power, i had one that failed once, it does happen

AO

I have found from time to time that my ep heater strip feels cool, but the thing to remember is, your dew bands could be in contact with metal, which is a conductor, so the bands may feel cool depending on the temperature of the metal. I just cranked the heat up and put it on the back if my hand, it soon felt warm so I knew all was well.

Guest CodnorPaul

Yes was out at Wymeswold and had it on all night on separate channel - felt warm and worked a treat. Thanks everyone