• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Its time to move on to ccd which camera ?

Graham

I've used a 450D and a QHY8L and I have to say the latter immediately gave better sharper photos even in a novices hand. I'm still experimenting with the 8L and due to trying too many things at once I wasted my best chance to get astro images last weekend :( sadly I only have weekends to fit in astronomy as I work away from home in the week

Don't like the sound of that Andy, bit too small for my liking.

Field of view through my 200p with Atik16ic = 16.77' x 12.57'

Edited by andyboy1970

Field of view through my 200p with Atik16ic = 16.77' x 12.57'

Now put like that it don't seem too bad ;)

Good thread here, seems the 314l+ is the first choice for new ccd imagers....and it will be a massive improvement on my Starlight MX7C....now that has a tiny chip!

what did you get in the end ?

John

Hi John.

Nothing as yet.

Sheila bless her heart is lending me her 314 to try out to see how I get on with it.

I will let you all know the results asap.

Graham,

Can I request 1x300s sub of M1 with the 314 please? Just need a look-see of the full size raw image file.

Regards.

Graham,

Can I request 1x300s sub of M1 with the 314 please? Just need a look-see of the full size raw image file.

Regards.

Yes no probs.

If you can arrange a clear night I will take the sub. :lol:

Friday night 2200-0400

Booked and paid  :)

Regards.

Ok Paul, the camera is here and up and running I will see what I can do for you when you deliver the clear sky on Friday.

The strangest thing I found going from DSLR to CCD was the lack of shutter noise.

Hi There,

Just picked up this thread. Dedicated astro ccd cameras are definitely top of the pile. Olly Penrice rates them as:-

1st Mono ccd

2nd osc ccd

and a distant 3rd DSLR.

Reasons are dedicated ccd's are cooled, typically 30 degs below ambient. They have the harsh IR filter removed

and the new low noise ccd chips don't need dark frames. The Atik 341L being one of them.

Downside is they run from expensive to very expensive. I have been lucky I picked up a QHY8 Pro osc & a SXVF HR Mono 

second hand separately both a good price, and both are immaculate. I know you take your chance buying second hand,

but if you buy well & at the end of the day it's not for you. You will not lose out.

cheers

Steve

• 5 months later...
Guest ollypenrice

Yes, I really can't say I like DSLRs though they offer a big chip at a low price. No question there. However, when used in ultra fast optics they can and sometimes do give CCD like results. http://www.dutchdeepsky.com/ic1396_sh2-129_130830.html  However, are you up for a Tak Epsilon F2.8???

I've banned myself from commenting negatively on other makes of camera and am probably guilty of having contributed what one member in this thread has called 'a load of crap' on another forum! I do get to see an awful lot of cameras in my line of work, though, and you'll notice I use Atiks. I think you get an incredible level of quality for the price. I also need reliability as a provider and pay very careful attention indeed to where I'm likely to find it.

What I think is under-stated about CCD imaging is that it is easier than DSLR if you want a good result. OK, capture has more operations, maybe, but they are controlled via dedicated software and you don't need to disable things the camera thinks you want! The hardest parts to get right in most images are the stars and the background sky. DSLR backgrounds are often noisy and star colour is very hard to retain. Faint stuff can only be revealed by having a good signal to noise ratio so, again, CCD makes things easier. Ian King encouraged me to go straight into mono CCD (with the 16HR, precurser to the Atik 314L) and I really am grateful to him for one of the best bits of advice I've ever had in astronomy.

Olly

Thanks for that Olly, I am thinking of going in that direction next year. I am spending the Winter learning how to guide and the software side of it but with a DSLR.

It's a steep learning curve as it is so an Atik may be on the cards for me next Spring!!

Cheers

Ron

+1 on that Olly. I modded my 1000d a few years ago but only use it for the odd terrestrial view now because life with the ccd is so much easier. A mate of mine loaned me his old artemis a few years ago after I had a bad run of images with the dslr, I havent looked back. Yep my 1000d still has a place in my kit box for very widefield but its not used much