• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Leo triplet for me

Antares_Paul

HI,

Had a fantastic sky last night and all the kit played ball.

However I am still in 'scatter gun' mode and split my, as it turned out, 5 hours of clear skies over numerous images.

Unfortunately my first attempts at some globular clusters were rubbish. I over exposed and can't control in processing so lost most of the detail in the clusters themselves.

First of the night though was the Leo triplet. Had them in my sights for a long time but, you know, it never happened.

Anyway, here's the 3 galaxies set in a full frame for scale;

Leo_triplet_pi_zps6b06edc7.png

ED120DS-PRO, 0.85FR, Canon 450D full spectrum, CLS-CCD filter.

12x300s ISO 800. 11 matching darks.

Thanks for looking, clear skies and Happy Easter.

Thank you kind sir.

I wasn't going to bother posting it up here but the Twitter version got a few retweets/favourited etc.

Actually looking at it again, I might throw some more time at it including some NB.

I really should concentrate on quality and not quantity.

Also these damn pesky dust bunnies are doing my head in. Every surface got a gentle clean down so can only assume they are hiding on the objective lens inside the OTA. Might have to employ my hybrid blower/drinking straws tool to sort it.

Keeping the background dark enough to hide the bunnies is costing me hard-earned faint nebulosity.

Regards.

Nice shot.

Darkening the background seems a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, would you perhaps be better to do some flats for calibration instead? That would get rid of the bunnies and allow you to retain the faint detail you sacrifice by darkening the background.

Yep Mike you've nailed it.

Haven't had any luck with t-shirts/twilight sky etc so am waiting for a decent quality flat panel to become available.

Then we're cooking  ;)

Regards.

Yep Mike you've nailed it.

Haven't had any luck with t-shirts/twilight sky etc so am waiting for a decent quality flat panel to become available.

Then we're cooking  ;)

Regards.

Whilst some may say not ideal since it's not 100% full spectrum, why not do what I do with the ED80 and did with the st80? I used my laptop screen, works fine with OSC in my case with a modded 350d.

Cheers Mike.

I've tried it before and it was a faff for me with limited space in the shed.

FLO/Hitecastro should be coming up with the goods soon so I'll continue with a coal background for now.

Thanks again. Happy Easter.

Regards.

Very nice shot.

I read an interesting thread on SGL about making a flat panel from an old LCD computer screen, it involved striping the TFT layer off leaving the white illuminating panel behind.

Interesting. I'll have a search around SGL for that.

Regards.

That looks just the job Steve.

Can you pop a photo on here of the point where the power lead enters the panel, please?

Regards.

Lovely image. It was 'first light' for me last night on this trio, although I was visual, not imaging. My view wasn't this good though!

Angus

That looks just the job Steve.

Can you pop a photo on here of the point where the power lead enters the panel, please?

Regards.

Will do

if I forget over the next couple of days pm to remind me-I've got to find it

Thanks Steve. Doesn't look any worse than the GN panel.

I'll keep my powder dry for now and see what FLO/Hitecastro come up with.

Cheers.