• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

hi from ilkeston.

tuckstar

Hi, I've been into astronomy for a couple of years now.

I'm a member of Ilkeston and district astro society here in Ilkeston.

Was looking around SGL and ended up here.

So hi.

Hi Andy. We've got at least one other member from Ilkeston. I'm sure Damian will be along soon if you don't already know him.

Welcome.

James

Hi Andy - good to see you on board and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Hope we get to meet up sometime at one of our dark sites - meantime enjoy our forum!

Guest devil74

Hi Andy,

Welcome to EMS. Hope you enjoy the forums...great bunch of guys (and gals) on here.

Nice to to see another local member. What part of Ilkeston are you from...i'm down Larklands.

Damian

Thanks all. I'm near the police station on heanor road.

Damian, have you found any local gazing sites yet?

Guest devil74

I havent yet Andy. I have tried up Shipley but still heavily light polluted.

Was at the Wymeswold site Saturday night with a few others and it was excellent compared to an urban sky. The other site is actually not far from Ambergate and this is apparently slightly better. I haven't been there yet but there is the quarterly meeting there on 12th April.

You would be most welcome. Bring a quid and a cup and refreshments are supplied courtesy of Baz.

You can clearly see the Milky Way from the Belper dark site. I love it!

Hi Andy, a warm welcome to EMS.

Now that's a nice scope! Very nice. :)

As Damian mentioned there are two dark sites we have access to, one at Wymeswold, and the other at Belper up on the hill behind shining path woods.

Th Wymeswold one is great as it has better facilities than Belper in the winter. Belper on the other hand is a nice dark site, and if you come, wrap up, it can be ten to fifteen degrees colder than down in the valley.

The milky way is clearly visible from Belper, with the Cygnus rift easy to see, and is also visible at Wymeswold. The first visit is free to see if it suits your needs, and after that an annual sum of twenty pounds. This goes towards rent and insurance.

Come up on the 12th to Belper and say hello, see what you think. (Iam actually angling for a squint through your scope!) If it looks like being clear, then bring your gear, if it's cloudy we are having talks and a quiz. Refreshments will be available.

Enjoy the forum:)

Hi Andy and welcome

Is that your Zeis Telementor in the avatar by any chance, if it is bring it to a meet and I shall bring a classic and we will show all these modern scopes a thing or two ;)

The 12th sounds like a plan. Any postcard/ directions?

That's not my tele in the picture just cus I can't upload a pic of mine. It is an amazing scope but unfortunately I don't have the original EPs but have just managed to source adaptors for 1.25". I'd be glad to bring her along.

Hi Andy

I wont be at the Belper meet on the 12th unfortunately, heres the address btw

The Packhorse Ground
Sandyford Lane
Alderwasley
Belper
Derbyshire
DE56 2DP.

My classics (plural) :D

I have a 1970s 4" F15 Fullerscopes Deluxe refractor on T Cooke (1870) equatorial mount, a 1970s Towa 80mm F15 and a 1910 Broadhurst Clarkson 3" all brass starboy refractor. I love using em all.