• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First timelapse of comet Panstarrs

oldfruit

http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/oldfruit1/media/2029-09-26001_zpsb1811fdd.mp4.html#/user/oldfruit1/media/2029-09-26001_zpsb1811fdd.mp4.html?&_suid=136502743113307622865701679891

I hope this works. I tried this as an experiment after some help from Dawson. It is a bit clunky and could do with some refining but for a first attempt i am pleased with how it has come together.

It is Comet Panstarrs setting, even the neighbours cat made an appearance. :D

I just need to try this at our dark site next.

Edited by oldfruit

I love it!

I love the fact M31 is also so clearly visible again.

I also love the guest appearance of the neighbors cat! That made me laugh every time I watched it.

I think it's a great first attempt. I am by no means an expert at time lapse, but I think they are great, in the day time or at night.

With 'fixed' foreground object, I've found distant ones are good, but near ones which are liable to move every so slightly (like trees, other plants) move a lot in the final image and can be distracting; it doesn't bother me for my pleasure of watching them, but I always worry that movement will distract other people watching the clip. In my back garden it's near impossible to get a time lapse without something in the near foreground.

You managed to keep the camera really still which is great. I've had cats and kids (I don't have kids but my brothers kids) had touched the tripod, and I once set up in a windy location and the tripod was rocking all over the place; in fact the judder in the cloud one I posted in the other thread is down to the wind.

What settings did you use on the camera? How long was the run for and how many frames?

I think you could probably batch edit the frames to get them darker and potentially bring out more stars, and make the sky look less 'urban'. I've yet to find an easy to use, free batch editing program; if you do let me know.

I also want to do a really long night time run; I've got a mains supply for my camera, and now I've got heated pads to keep the lens from misting (hopefully), and with jpegs the card shouldn't get full, I just need the confidence it's not going to rain so I can go to bed and leave it set up in the garden.

Really well done. I look forward to seeing more. You've made me think I should do more too. It is a great thing to watch and generally very easy to undertake (just don't tell everyone or they'll all be at it).

James

What settings did you use on the camera? How long was the run for and how many frames?

James

I used a Canon 1000d with a Tamron 70-300mm lense set on 70mm mounted on a camera tripod. The timelapse is made up of 353 exposures of 7 seconds with a pause of 5 seconds between each exposure. This equates to a run of about 70 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Edited by oldfruit

I'd try with a shorter interval between frames, that may give it a smoother feel. I'm not so sure it's so important to cool the sensor down in widefield, but someone experienced may be able to comment on that.

Panstarrs; M31; a passing plane, and the neighbors cat :)

Nice one, love it.

You will find the sensor temperature levels out after a short time and stops increasing, well it does on mine even with 300 second subs.