• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Experimental drift alignment.

andyboy1970

Experimental drift alignment.

Since my mount is on a pier it is already roughly polar aligned but it still needed a little tweak so I fired up Cartes and PHD.

Slewed  the scope to Denebola which was near the meridian at the time and not to high up.

Calibrated  PHD on Denebola.

Next in PHD I disabled the guide outputs, in the brain function, and enabled the graph.

Click PHD to guide on Denebola and watched the graph for DEC output only for 1 minute.

The trace for DEC slowly drifted down away from the centre line so I slightly adjusted the Azimuth adjusters and restarted the guiding after several runs like this I had the DEC trace running all the way across the graph right near the centre line.

Next I slewed  to a star next to M3 which was fairly low (for me) on the East horizon and recalibrated PHD.

Next in PHD I disabled the guide outputs, in the brain function, and enabled the graph.

Click PHD to guide on the selected star and watched the graph for RA output only for 1 minute.

The trace for RA also slowly drifted down away from the centre line so I slightly adjusted the ALT adjusters and restarted the guiding after several runs like this I had the ALT trace running all the way across the graph right near the centre line.

I ran through this process twice and now have a very well aligned mount.

Note: only small adjustments were made each time.