• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Best of a bad bunch Jupiter 5/4/2013

catman161

I had a great visual session last night but an appalling planetary webcamming one!! A shame as Io was transiting at the time I was trying to grab some avi's. The sky looked great when just looking but trying to get focused had me pulling my hair out last night. I will do an observing report for the visual when I get a chance as I had an enjoyable session visually. Anyway the below images are the best of a bad bunch, all captured in sharpcap and processed in registax 5.1. Not happy with any of them really but didn't want to have nothing to show for my efforts seeing as I finished at about 2:30am by the time I packed away.

Equipment: SW 200p, NEQ6 Pro, SPC900NC, 2x TV Powermate. All images best 80% of 1500 frames

Nothing wrong with those Felix - you got the transit and the planet very nicely captured - good, clean shots, with plenty of detail. imho. :)

(Middle one's the best - did you use the bahtinov mask to focus?)

I agree with Kim, that second one is really nice. I'd be very pleased with those.

Cheers Kim, like I was saying the conditions up there were not great.I got a glimpse of Saturn above the south roof through my bins at 02:10 through my bins as I packed away. Not anywhere near as clear as some of my others. I never use the bhatinov mask to focus on planets as I have found that when I use a star near the planet achieve focus on using the mask it is never right when I slew to the planet. I asked about it a while back and the consensus of opinion (for Jupiter anyway) was to focus by eye using the moons as an indicator.  

"consensus of opinion (for Jupiter anyway) was to focus by eye using the moons as an indicator"

Good point - I guess planets are one heck of a lot closer than stars :)

Well you got the transit, nice shots.

Always focus by eye on Planets.

Well you got the transit, nice shots.

Always focus by eye on Planets.

Cheers Andy :)

I like the second one too. It looks like a really good representation of what you can actually see visually. (in my scope anyway)

I think they are pretty impressive Felix. I wanted to grab some AVIs myself last night but there wasn't much room in my little patch, and the puddle I was in was getting larger and deep as the night went on; I think maybe Mike had drunk too much tea higher up the hill!

Have you had chance to look if Stellarium is accurate or not for your back yard?

James

I think they are pretty impressive Felix. I wanted to grab some AVIs myself last night but there wasn't much room in my little patch, and the puddle I was in was getting larger and deep as the night went on; I think maybe Mike had drunk too much tea higher up the hill!

Have you had chance to look if Stellarium is accurate or not for your back yard?

James

I did indeed James. At 02:10 stellarium said that Saturn would be visible above the due south roof behind my house and there it was (in between clouds!) so it is pretty accurate. Thanks again or doing that for me :)

Thanks Stephen-they did not come out as well as I wanted but seeing was a real pain last night.

Felix, your planetary skills are coming along nicely.

It's been a while since my last visit in this section and it's obvious by your latest offerings that you are learning fast.

Please keep them coming and I'm looking forward to a rendition of Saturn from you.

Regards.

Thanks Paul :)

I am itching to get a look at Saturn. Hopefully will grab a couple of Avis if I can tonight. 2am is the time that its above the roof tops for me-another late one :)