• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Has the age old question ever been answered ?

Graham

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tibbz2

• Perkil8r

• dawson

• Graham

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, well that was fascinating, but largely over my head. At least I understand now why a black hole with infinite gravity isn't pulling me in; I'm just too far away.

Thanks for the link Mike.

James

Why will you need it soon?

Back to school, plenty of physics talk! :P Also I think we have a section on astronomy in our Physics A Level course starting September :)

At. I see. I hadn't realised you were so young. Make the most of it while you can. It's all down hill from about 25 :)

James

Whoop. (off topic) you're called tobias too. First other tobias I've ever met (sort of)

Whoop. (off topic) you're called tobias too. First other tobias I've ever met (sort of)

Haha yes! *high five*

There's someone I know who's name is Tobias but he is always called Toby (which I would hate), so technically so are you! :D

Good point James... No idea!

In that lecture, the guy says something like "if I shone a light into a black hole, I'd be throwing photos into it, and they would add their mass energy to the mass of the black hole, and the black hole would get larger".... but then it's got zero mass, so that just doesn't make sense to me.

James

Aha.... Mass is the same as weight (in effect) which mustn't be confused with size. Well that isn't true as the following link explains, however in layman's terms they are similar, certainly for the purposes of this explanation.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mass.html

Edited by Perkil8r

Guest Kheldar

Aha.... Mass is the same as weight (in effect) which mustn't be confused with size.

Take that back Mr Mike - mass and weight are not the same thing :nonono:

Take that back Mr Mike - mass and weight are not the same thing :nonono:

Already edited to clarify, however yes you are correct. Mass is constant, weight changes with gravity. Mass is not related to volume (or size) but mass over volume gives us density which relates to gravity.

In that lecture, the guy says something like "if I shone a light into a black hole, I'd be throwing photos into it, and they would add their mass energy to the mass of the black hole, and the black hole would get larger".... but then it's got zero mass, so that just doesn't make sense to me.

James

If i'm reading this right then you're wondering why massless particles add mass to the BH? 

In basic terms I think that photons, although they have no mass, still have energy which is added to the BH, which increases the energy/mass of the BH (as long as the photons have more energy than the BH in the first place, which they should seeing as BH are so 'cold'!)

James

A black hole has mass, and lots of it! What it does not have is much physical size, hence the enormous density and therefore gravity.

I'm confused at whether I have completely mis-interpreted the question now :P

Possibly, although whilst we're talking about photons, they do have mass ;) they behave like particles and therefore have mass, it's just rediculously small.

Actually, scratch that, Photons are said to have zero mass, but the do have momentum. However for something to have momentum it must have mass. This is an area of research that is quite a hot topic for some people.

I prefer the theory that they have got some mass.

Edited by Perkil8r

:o Everything I've ever been taught is wrong!  :P

I thought they were massless, however had a relativistic mass?

Edit: Ah I see. Well i'm sticking with massless until they can prove otherwise :P

Edited by Tibbz2

I'm not sure of the question myself either.

So black holes have enormous mass, but no volume, and infinite gravity?

James

If I remember correctly according to Einstein black holes are simply made up of gravitational energy. Anything that is sucked into a black hole is converted to energy. Black holes have mass but do not contain matter and apparently are not black.

OK. I can comprehend that. And if I threw my old car battery in, it's mass would increase by the mass of a car battery, but it's volume would remain zero as the battery would be squished down to zero volume too....?

James