• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Has the age old question ever been answered ?

Graham

Time would soon stop for you anyway as you would be squished and therefore deceased. ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tibbz2

• Perkil8r

• dawson

• Graham

Top Posters In This Topic

Special Relativity says that when you move through space-time, especially when your speed relative to other objects is close to the speed of light, time goes slower for you than for the people you left behind, I think this is what Tobias is on about.

All we need to do is build a faster rocket and the time travel is possible, I don't think it will ever be like Star Trek but you never know.

Do you know what.

If I could harness the energy used in all the typing on this thread I would never have to chop wood again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant stuff.

Keep it up I am learning heaps.

Do you know what.

If I could harness the energy used in all the typing on this thread I would never have to chop wood again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant stuff.

Keep it up I am learning heaps.

Print it out and burn it instead of wood :D

Time would soon stop for you anyway as you would be squished and therefore deceased. ;)

Spaghettification is probably one of the best names in science :P

Special Relativity says that when you move through space-time, especially when your speed relative to other objects is close to the speed of light, time goes slower for you than for the people you left behind, I think this is what Tobias is on about.

All we need to do is build a faster rocket and the time travel is possible, I don't think it will ever be like Star Trek but you never know.

Yes that's what I was meant to be getting at,  thanks ;)

Speaking of star trek. Scientists are working on warp field technology. (off topic slightly sorry)

That's a good talking point... Do we think it will work? Also do we think there will ever be FTL travel or usable wormholes etc...?

I personally don't think we will, even if wormholes etc. do exist. I think we'll be gone before we can develop the tech. Then again I hope to be proven wrong :D

That's a good talking point... Do we think it will work? Also do we think there will ever be FTL travel or usable wormholes etc...?

I personally don't think we will, even if wormholes etc. do exist. I think we'll be gone before we can develop the tech. Then again I hope to be proven wrong :D

A good subject indeed. Start a fresh thread though as we are already wandering slightly off topic in this one, but we are just about hanging on in there :lol:

A good subject indeed. Start a fresh thread though as we are already wandering slightly off topic in this one, but we are just about hanging on in there :lol:

I hope to when I have any idea of what to put in the OP :lol: 

I have no decent theories yet :P

Going back to the infinite gravity bit, that gravity you feel drops off with the square of the distance, so if you double your distance from an object it decreases to a quarter of its previous value. But if you have a point with infinite gravity, then half of infinity is still infinity, so why would the gravity start to fall off....? My head is starting to hurt!

Angus

It's only a point because our maths breaks down and can't yet describe what shape/size it should be. As we've not yet directly observed a black hole, it's all theory.

Right, black holes do have infinite gravity, however anywhere outside the black hole experiences the gravity of the mass of the black hole. For example you could replace our sun with a black hole with the same mass, and we would still orbit it normally, like the Sun. 'Infinite gravity' is only at the point of singularity because of its infinite density. However all laws as far as we know break down there. 

Edited by Tibbz2

I swear I thought I saw a news story the other week on something to do with the theory of event horizons acting like walls of fire; instead of passing them normally and them being nothing too special, you would fry in the immense radiation?

There is the photon sphere, where photons get caught in orbit. It's possible there could be enough energy there to do some damage!

I swear I thought I saw a news story the other week on something to do with the theory of event horizons acting like walls of fire; instead of passing them normally and them being nothing too special, you would fry in the immense radiation?

Well thats a cheary thought Tobias thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is the photon sphere, where photons get caught in orbit. It's possible there could be enough energy there to do some damage!

True! There is also the hawking radiation on the horizon which I think is where the theory states is energetic enough to do the damage

Black Holes keep sounding cooler with all these theories :lol: