• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wide field eye piece

dawson

After looking through my scope with a much lower power, wider field eye piece the other night, i've decided i need one.

I just don't know how low magnification i should go, and how wide.

It was about 32mm i think, and maybe 60-70* field of view. It was so different to the 10mm and 20mm eye pieces i have which came with the scope.

Any suggestions of eye pieces? I don't want to spend more than a hundred i think, and would happily buy second hand. (1.25" needed).

Thanks

James

I just bought myself a baader Hyperion 36mm. It's a bit more than £100 at £149 but I used it for the first time briefly last night and the views it provided were very nice. It has a 72 degree fov and comes in 1.25" and 2" barrel sizes. Also a very versatile EP with all the accesories you can get for it for photography

After looking through my scope with a much lower power, wider field eye piece the other night, i've decided i need one.

I just don't know how low magnification i should go, and how wide.

It was about 32mm i think, and maybe 60-70* field of view. It was so different to the 10mm and 20mm eye pieces i have which came with the scope.

Any suggestions of eye pieces? I don't want to spend more than a hundred i think, and would happily buy second hand. (1.25" needed).

Thanks

James

Hi James,

The 32mm eye piece only has a 50* field of view - it's a Celestron Omni Plossl (currently £49.50 new from FLO). Even a decent but bog-standard  plossl is much better than the versions usually supplied with scopes. Most folks on here will be happy to let you try an eye piece or two so you can get a good idea of where you want to go before you fork out the cash.

Guest Ely Ellis

James,

I was surprised too with the first low power EP I looked through.

It was very kindly loaned to me by Steve (Ibbo), and when I first got to try it out I was amazed.

I think it was the Coathanger (Cluster ?) that surprised me the most. Before, I could never see the whole thing and just looked like a couple of stars to me, when I stuck Steve's EP in, I saw the whole thing.

I forget what it was, it may have been a Meade 40mm, but not sure now, but very nice (thanks Steve).

Cheers

Martin

James - see me at the next meet - if it's clear I have a variety of pieces you can try in your scope to get a very good idea of what's suitable for you and your gear. Eyepiece choice is a highly personal thing - so best to be well appraised before buying. Also you can save one heck of a lot buying second hand if you know what you're looking for. :)

(The offers still open for a session at my place in the week - just let me know and we'll arrange it)

Thanks Kim. If it's clear in the week I'll take you up on the offer.

I'll be interested to test a range of eye pieces.

James

Guest Ely Ellis

If its a range of eye pieces, then I think Kim has them all!

When I first met or at least saw Kim, he brought a collection of EP's up to Belper. I was very impressed and he was so popular I couldn't even get to speak to him at that meet.

Martin

Yes, felix has told me how much kit he's got, which is why it will probably be best for me to take my scope to him :)

Jd