• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Unidentified structure!

dawson

I found this doughnut shaped structure whilst pairing the socks. I think it could be a micro universe :)

The letter in the background of the shot is a letter to me about my back haha, it's nothing to do with a patient, in case anyone wondered.

James

The letter in the background of the shot is a letter to me about my back haha, it's nothing to do with a patient, in case anyone wondered.

James

I did clock that James ;)

:lol: I came in expecting something serious and interesting! I should have known...  :facepalm:

I was a little amused with the phrase "Pairing my socks" so I found this on google.

Yesterday I was pairing the socks from the clean laundry, and figured out the way I was doing it is not very efficient. I was doing a naive search â€” picking one sock and "iterating" the pile in order to find its pair. This requires iterating over n/2 * n/4 = n2/8 socks on average.

As a computer scientist I was thinking what I could do? Sorting (according to size/color/...) of course came into mind to achieve an O(NlogN) solution.

Hashing or other not-in-place solutions are not an option, because I am not able to duplicate my socks (though it could be nice if I could).

So, the question is basically:

Given a pile of n pairs of socks, containing 2n elements (assume each sock has exactly one matching pair), what is the best way to pair them up efficiently with up to logarithmic extra space? (I believe I can remember that amount of info if needed.)

So sad  :lol:

I have a simpler solution buy all the same coloured socks :D :D :D

Edited by Ibbo