• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter and shadow transit 06-04-13

tbird

Jupiter and shadow transit from last night.

I seem to be having some issues at the moment with the laptop, frame rates keep dropping suddenly, so this ended up being only 500 frames stacked in registax 6.

Celestron c9.25 on eq-6, QHY IMG0H camera and Tal x2 barlow.

Jupiter06_04_2013_201759_zps4ea6efe4.jpg

That's fantastic-the detail is awesome. I have been lookin at the IMGOH camera with longing eyes. Great work-really good picture

Yes, marvellous image. Love the transit, so clear.

Felix i'll be interested to see how that camera compares to yours. You'll have to get to a meet with tbird to do a comparison.

James

That's fantastic-the detail is awesome. I have been lookin at the IMGOH camera with longing eyes. Great work-really good picture

I don't know if I would recommend the QHY cameras for purely planetary, the DMK's are better supported and some have the same chip anyway. The reason I got the IMG0H is that it has a st4 guide port and I my intention was to start guided DSO imaging but haven't got round to it.

That was exactly the reason I was looking at it-just thinking ahead to futureproof myself in case I want to dabble in DSO stuff ;) I don't know if I would recommend the QHY cameras for purely planetary, the DMK's are better supported and some have the same chip anyway. The reason I got the IMG0H is that it has a st4 guide port and I my intention was to start guided DSO imaging but haven't got round to it.

That's exactly who I was looking at it-just future proofing in case I want to dabble in DSO stuff ;)

Edited by catman161

Yes, marvellous image. Love the transit, so clear.

Felix i'll be interested to see how that camera compares to yours. You'll have to get to a meet with tbird to do a comparison.

James

The QHY cameras are in a different league to webcams James-they are far superior-no need for a comparison really.

Very nice. I love Jupiter images. I was watching the transit last night. Tried to get some photos on my smart phone. To not much success.

The QHY cameras are in a different league to webcams James-they are far superior-no need for a comparison really.

The QHY's and TIS cameras are a lot more sensitive and they capture at greater frames rates, I'm often at 30 + fps and up to 45+ without a barlow. You can really push the processing where a philips webcam would be producing onion rings.

Nice image Paul.

Regarding slow frame rates, have you closed all un-essential programs? Anything running or open on the computer will slow the capture rate down.

Nice image Paul.

Regarding slow frame rates, have you closed all un-essential programs? Anything running or open on the computer will slow the capture rate down.

Not sure if it's a problem with the USB ports, it's not always recognising when devices are attached. Time for a change, the laptop is developing a few faults now, screen keeps cutting out as well  :angry: