• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ingredient for Life Common on Jupiter's Icy Moon Europa

Craig

http://www.space.com/20536-jupiter-moon-europa-life-ingredients.html

A potential energy source for life appears to be common on Jupiter's icy moon Europa, a new study suggests.

An analysis of infrared observations of Europa revealed that hydrogen peroxide is abundant on the ice-covered Jovian moon. If the hydrogen peroxide finds a way beneath Europa's surface and mixes with the moon's liquid water ocean, it could be a vital energy source for any life that might exist there, scientists said.

If anywhere has like I would probably expect it to be there!

This reminds me of the sketch in COSMOS where Sagan drafts up some life forms that could exist within Jupiter... That was awesome.

I do think that a space mission to land on Europa, drill or melt through the ice and explore the ocean beneath and get the results back to Earth would not only be incredibly difficult / challenging / cool but could also provide the most eye opening discoveries of the 21st century...if it ever gets done. I just hope I see it in my lifetime!

Angus

I do think that a space mission to land on Europa, drill or melt through the ice and explore the ocean beneath and get the results back to Earth would not only be incredibly difficult / challenging / cool but could also provide the most eye opening discoveries of the 21st century...if it ever gets done. I just hope I see it in my lifetime!

Angus

Plans are a foot for a lander, plan is to land a nuclear powered device capable of melting its way down to the hopeful ocean below and then release a swimming probe with its own set of 3 smaller probes to investigate with out harming main probe or getting it stuck.

Saw a documentary the other day but can't remember where or when.

Edited by tuckstar

Would have to be very careful not to contaminate it with life from our own rock. I imagine they've learnt a few tricks from drilling into the Antarctic subterranean lakes.

Well, if they do find something, perhaps they'll name it for Arthur C Clarke.

Would have to be very careful not to contaminate it with life from our own rock. I imagine they've learnt a few tricks from drilling into the Antarctic subterranean lakes.

Pretty sure all instruments and vehicles are made with the up-most care as not to contaminate, especially rovers like on Mars.

Pretty sure all instruments and vehicles are made with the up-most care as not to contaminate, especially rovers like on Mars.

You'd like to think so, but one of the drills on Curiosity was contaminated :facepalm:

You'd like to think so, but one of the drills on Curiosity was contaminated :facepalm:

Oh did they confirm that?

I haven't heard anything since the original news saying that there was interesting results. Shame.

It was to do with one of the drill bits being taken out of the packet or something, can't remember the details but a women from the uk space agency told us at a talk a few months back :facepalm:

They swapped to using a new drill bit which hadn't been opened, but all it means is they no longer have a spare in case of breakage.