• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A new DFK21 colour camera

Guest AstroOlly

Guest AstroOlly

Hi,
I bought this camera a couple of days ago, bit am wondering what the little threaded collar was for, shown in middle on picture below
It screws onto front of camera and nosepiece screws into it, but the nosepiece will screw straight onto camera without it...so my question is what is it for?? and do i need it??

Olly

Does it protect the thread where a filter might sit?

No idea otherwise.

James

Does it not act as a spacer and therefore give length to the image train to facilitate achieving focus? I am sure I have read somewhere that you get lots if those and piggyback them to extend/decrease the image train accordingly until focus is achieved. I could be talking absolute nonsense-is just an idea :)

Guest AstroOlly

thanks for the ideas guys, have sorted it now, when these cameras are used with a lens the spacer is required for focus to be achieved.

Olly

Well what do you know? I was right! That's a first for me in astro! ;)

Guest swaylight

Un screw the nose piece one fits that and one fits on to the nose piece

Edited by swaylight

Guest AstroOlly

Un screw the nose piece one fits that and one fits on to the nose piece

It is not needed for Astro use at all, it is a C/CS lens spacer for use with these type of lens because they need the extra 6mm or so to come to focus.

Olly