• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Car battery

dawson

My car is having a new battery, it's got the original one from 12 years ago (60 amp hours) but it's not holding its charge as well as it should and the car is a bit sluggish to start up when cold.

Anyway, could I use the old battery for my scope, or if it's running out of life should I just leave it at the garage?

James

Guest Kheldar

I would say no, but would wait for Martyn or someone more knowledgeable to answer :) I don't think car batteries are the best sort to use for astro.

Guest Ely Ellis

I see no reason why you can't use it for your scope. You would probably need to test it first, give it a run one night at home and see how long it will last.

The last thing you want is to be set up in the middle of a field and have the battery run flat after 10 mins.

I take it your mount is 12 volts of course.

Martin

Deep cycle batteries are better but why not give a go, as Martin says charge it up and test it.

Car batterys are not the best. They are designed to supply short bursts of high current when starting the engine.

Your astro gear draws a couple of amps but for hours at a time. The best for this is a leisure battery.

Repeatedly drain a car battery and you'll kill it, leisure batterys are designed for deep discharge.

I'd leave it at the garage if it was mine!

Is it just for the mount??? nothing else, no dew heaters etc etc.  Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge i dont think.  The leisure batteries we use are.

If it is struggling with your car it is obviously a bit unreliable and quite old.....    I would not want to chance it failing at a vital point. :(  

could be it has some duff cells

Sheila

Guest Ely Ellis

Leisure batteries are much better for the job but if you have a spare car battery that still works then why not use it.

When it dies for good, then get a few quid from the scrappies.

You can't do any harm, the worst that can happen is that it will run out of power at the most inconvenient moment.

You have nothing to loose, but I'm sure if you contact Martyn, he may be able to help you out.

Martin

Yes, I only power the mount at the moment, and I don't think that draws a great deal of energy as 4xAA batteries run it easily for 4 hours for several nights.

I'm not desperate to use it, as I have a Halfords car charger thing (17 amp hours, which again probably has a car battery in) which I'm using, but just thought if it would do the trick it might save me £50 or so in the future.

I can't be arsed to fill the garage up with more crap I'm never going to use!

:)

James

Martin, where's your red nose gone? :)

If I keep the battery, what charger do I need for it, and where do you lot buy these boxes from with a cigarette lighter plug hole?

James

"the worst that can happen is that it will run out of power at the most inconvenient moment", is exactly the point.

Having so few opportunities to get out because of the weather I wouldn't risk a single night.

You do start the thread by pointing out the battery is duff so it's going to always be a known weak link in your kit.

Guest Kheldar

"the worst that can happen is that it will run out of power at the most inconvenient moment", is exactly the point.

Having so few opportunities to get out because of the weather I wouldn't risk a single night.

You do start the thread by pointing out the battery is duff so it's going to always be a known weak link in your kit.

+1

Had many power problems at the start of the year - all resolved by getting a suitable battery :)

Guest Ely Ellis

A le

Martin, where's your red nose gone? :)

I'm feeling much better now Jamies ;)

A leisure batteries can also give up without warning, as most batteries do.

You just need to test it first and see what the capacity is. It may save you keep buying those AA batteries or give you a backup.

Like you say, its either give it a go or get rid of it.

It is not that leisure batteries are made to give a slow discharge, it is that car batteries are made to give a high burst current. Them starter motors certainly zap the current out.

Don't ever try to start a car with a leisure battery, your risk explosion or at minimum kill the battery.

What I'm saying is that if you have it and don't have anything else, then give it a go. If it doesn't work, drop it off at the scrappies.

Can I assume that your mount is 6volts though (you mentioned 4 x AA batteries). Maybe your mount will take a variable voltage, but be careful whatever battery you use.

Cheers

Martin

I lied, it's 8xAA batteries! I forget there are four on the back too!

James

Right battery changed. THey tested it and it had 66% of it's power in it. I brought it home, no idea why!

It weighs a tonne. Thanks Martin :)

James

Hang it under the tripod as a damping weight and in case of high winds?