• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Collimation

Guest devil74

Guest devil74

I am to buy a collimator but not sure what to buy. I dont want to spend a fortune and I have seen the good lasers collimators are fairly expensive.

By accident I came across the Premium Cheshire collimator on FLO...could you give me some pointers on what I should do please.

The cheshire eyepiece is very effective as a collimation tool but  I would also recommend a collie cap as well. I find to adjust the secondary mirror, the colli cap gives a wider view which makes it easier to see the primary mirror clips. The cheshire can be fitted to adjust the primary mirror as the cross hair can be lined up with the mirrors centre doughnut.

Cheap lasers can be problematic as they may need collimating themselves to ensure the beam is perfectly centred. I have a Hotech with is guaranteed collimated out of the box and even that took time to get used to.

Guest devil74

Yes the premium Cheshire has really good reviews so maybe I will go for that. I'll have a look on FLO for a collie cap too...I love getting these tips from you guys...priceless knowledge.

Btw congrats John on the EMS staff appointment.

Damian.

I can run through collimation with you on Friday (using a laser), then you can see what it is like.

I have never used a Cheshire to collimate but hopefully somebody who is coming on Friday will bring one, and they can show you that.

Once you have seen both methods then you can make a choice.

As I like to say quite a bit on here.......

It's always best to try before you buy.

Collicap and a laser all the way for me.

Cheshires are Ok in the daylight but at night pretty useless.

Guest devil74

Oh erm yes of course James....she's the one who's credit card I use...just wait until she gets the statement. You could say your goodbyes now if you want lol.