• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Local dark sight for Lincolnshire members?

RonC

Just a thought, if a dark sight can be found for us Yellowbellies, would anybody want to meet there? I know the Cricket Club at Belper is a fine site but its an 80 mile round trip!

Would welcome some comments and site suggestions if you have them?

The East Midlands is a big area and I don't think an Easterly site would cause any problems would it?

I would be willing to travel for meets so if we had a place out that way, I'd go out with the group for sure.

Have a word with Cosmic Dave, we were talking about this today, I think he needs help to find a dark site Lincolnshire way so maybe you two could make a team.

Yes Ron we had a meeting about this early last year and decided horncastle area was a nice central location to meet. but the idea did not really get off the ground, Barry (cleethorpes AS) offered some land at his place nr louth.. I think another meeting may be the way to go ???? How many Lincs based members have we got on the new site ?

Not sure, maybe Doc & co could help us with that as not everyone has got a map position? Willalso check the dark sites map.

• 1 year later...

But it did get somewhere Tobias. That is why we not only have Gib Point but also the Wainfleet site. What more do you want? :D

And now with Paul organizing the Badger Farm session, I think we are spoilt for choice on the east coast.

Edited by oldfruit

Oh right, I thought it was EMS meet sites, forgot ELAC wasn't around then! :lol:  :facepalm2:

Edited by Tibbz2

Oh right, I thought it was EMS meet sites, forgot ELAC wasn't around then! :lol:  :facepalm2:

It is more aimed at EMS and not just ELAC. Pauls suggestion of Badger Farm seems a good one as it is a bit more central. But all EMS members are welcome to all dark sites (some require subscription). It is just a matter of how far folks are willing to travel and how good the site is and the facilities.

I think we have come a long way since those early threads, as you said Mark we are nearly spoilt for choice! I'm looking forward to a visit to Badger Farm at some point and I have Wymeswold only 40 mins away as well.

Roll on the dark nights!

Cheers

Ron

I'm sure you guys have probably already seen this zoomable light pollution map...

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

I find it very useful as it labels the small villages and shows the light glow around them, and use it in conjunction with the Needless map on the right sidebar of EMS front page and Google maps.

Looking at the map around Lincolnshire, I am envious of your local skies.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh right, I thought it was EMS meet sites, forgot ELAC wasn't around then! :lol::facepalm2:

Elac and ems are pretty close bed fellows.

• 1 month later...

Badger farm site seems to offer most potential. Watch this space ;)