• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Terraforming Mars

Perkil8r

Earth will look after itself just fine. If we put it in a state where we can no longer survive, there will be plenty of lifeforms to take our place. We've got keep it nice for humans to carry on living here.

I think the first realistic step maybe to get domes built on Mars. Just the pesky issues of meteorites, cosmic rays and low gravity to overcome...

Guest Ely Ellis

What about domes on the moon. It's a perfect stepping stone, we have a fairly well protected face (the one that points to us), we know we can get there and its feasible now.

Although we are a bit behind... I remember "Space 1999"

Although the moon is a good stepping stone, I think we can all agree on that, there are more of the elements we need on Mars. It has frozen water, Co2, Nitrogen in the atmosphere and much more besides. With those resources I think they hope it will mean far less having to be shipped up as an awful lot could be harvested / made from what is already there.

Edited by Perkil8r

This is not the program I was looking for, but the same chap discussing briefly the mechanism.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvhOepio4Q