• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wymeswold meeting tonight, 12/4/13

glider

I look forward to the invite to see your kit at home derek. Was great to meet you.

James

You're deffo in for a learning curve Derek - but help is always at hand with dslrs, webcams, and ccd's. At the end you're gonna be delighted I'm sure. Glad you had a good time and look forward to seeing you at many more meetings and observing sessions. :)

I look forward to the invite to see your kit at home derek. Was great to meet you.

James

Nice to meet you too.  It's quite a few years since I used the scope, but the meeting Friday night inspired me.  I'll have to update myself on the optics myself. Years ago, I did some calculations with the aim of getting a 1 inch fully illuminated 100% field at prime (Newtonian) focus, roughly equating with the minor axis of 35mm film (24 x 36 mm).  I worked out that  I could nearly achieve that with a 2.5 inch flat which I bought from the late David Sinden years earlier. This was an improvement to the 0.25" fully illuminated field with a smaller flat 1.7"-1.9"  The calculations had me raise and lower the primary mirror by an inch or so, and a new position of the larger flat.  I couldn't bare to drill a hole in the tube to accommodate the flat and a helical 2" low profile focusser (needing a bigger hole than the wobbly 1.25" rack and pinion) I got from Ron Arbour, so let my Dad do it.  I got a flat mount made of solid aluminium with holes drilled in for ligtness, but the clips made of either brass or bronze were just a little too short for my liking where screws attached to the flat holder went. I was also too afraid of tightening up the clips in case the flat cracked (and stressed/pinched causing distortion but that could be tested on a star image). So, I never mounted the large flat. Had I been in a club then, I'm sure I would have obtained the right advice.  Years passed by and I just used the small flat, and no photography or 0.83" 100% illuminated field.  For observing, the smaller flat would be better than the larger one because it obscurs slightly less light. But for astrophotography, I wanted as large a fully illuminated field.  I think with the low profile focusser, it meant the focus was just outside the tube, and I needed extension tubes for some eyepieces to get in focus - I can't remember which. But for web cam, it would be a simple enough matter to just try with a Barlow. 

Derek

You're deffo in for a learning curve Derek - but help is always at hand with dslrs, webcams, and ccd's. At the end you're gonna be delighted I'm sure. Glad you had a good time and look forward to seeing you at many more meetings and observing sessions. :)

Thank you Kim. I find it a struggle to do most things, :(  I will just have to take things slowly and gradually and to choose bright objects such as the moon and planets, and of course, this bright comet coming that's supposed to be as bright as the moon :)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that we met at one of the BAA out of London meetings at the National Space Centre, roughly around 2006? (I have the exact date on some photos I took there). I was sitting roughly in the second front row and a gentleman with lady spoke to me as I was on my own. They had a few photos on display of what I remember as a 4" refractor, and the work done to sink the pier into the ground. To add, the gentleman "observed" my finger nails that I was a fellow guitar player and asked, did I play the guitar, which I said yes. I just had a feeling that this gentleman was called Kim. I may be completely wrong though.

Derek

I do believe it could have been myself Derek - not many Kim's around in the "chap"variety lol. I do play classical guitar (though not touched it seriously in 10yrs) - so nails are the kind of thing I notice and would ask about. I am in LAS and get to meetings at the space center when I can - but quite infrequently due to commuting. On open evenings I take some gear to demo, and the missus (well someone has to lift  the gear lol).

The pictures might have been someone else's scope cos I didn't have a 4" refractor at that time and have never owned a pier. You've got a good memory if you can remember where you were sitting lol. If you ever fancy a session and/or just an astro chat during the week, I often set up on the drive when it's clear for a couple of hours. I'm often joined by folks from the Leicester area. :)

"The pictures might have been someone else's scope cos I didn't have a 4" refractor at that time"

He didn't then Derek, but has made amends since. He now has one in a different colour for every day of the week. !  :lol: 

It was my first time at the Wymeswold meeting. It was a nice, friendly and welcoming atmosphere, buzzing with ethusiasm and inspiring people. Paul and Rob's talks were great. With the exception of a Canon Ixus on a fixed tripod with a max of 15s exp, I've only ever done film astrophotography and it's been over 20 years since I last took a photo of Saturn using film like black and white Technical Pan 2415 25 ASA, Tri X 400 ASA, a cable release and a cardboard cap to slowly remove from the objective (not touching) after the shutter was opened, waiting for the shimmy from the cable release or wind to die down.  Although I could see the Casini division visually intermittently (and ~5-6 moons) at times of good seeing, I didn't manage to photograph it. Today's digital methods are a learning curve for me. But I learnt something from the talks and I've ordered the book "Every photo counts" to add to my collection.  

I was pleased to have a chance to ask questions to the speakers later. John and Martyn's quiz was great. It was good to be able to talk to a number of you, Rock Doctor, Allen, James, Martyn, Lee and others. It even helped me to home in on a particular smart phone I was thinking about getting. I hope to be able to come again and the skies be clear.  Your enthusiasm has probably resulted in my bank balance going down because I'm likely to buy some extra kit.  I think one of my challenges is to record the Casini Division. If I saw it visually, surely I should be able to record it digitally with a web cam and fast frame rates? (as opposed to a 4 second exposure with film - 0.1 seconds of excellent seeing and 3.9 sec of poor seeing, blurring out the Casini Division on grainy film too).

Thank you all

clear skies

Derek

it was great chatting with you too Derek good to see you’re going to have a go with digital imaging,

it is a step learning curve but I know the guys will always be there to help :unsure::D

had loads of help from the forum, let me know how it goes always here for a chat not saying I know anything but always up for a chin wag etc. :D

Allan

it was great chatting with you too Derek good to see you’re going to have a go with digital imaging,

it is a step learning curve but I know the guys will always be there to help :unsure::D

had loads of help from the forum, let me know how it goes always here for a chat not saying I know anything but always up for a chin wag etc. :D

Allan

Thanks Allan, we'll chat later.  I've came down with what seems to be like a stomach flu, felt lousy earlier and not too grand now. Yet no sneezes, coughs or sore throat. I wonder if anyone else came down?

Sounds like what I had leading up to the weekend Derek - I'm fine now so only two days to go for you :)

(That's why I didn't attend the meeting)

Guest Wayne

It's probably not flu, Derek. I had that before Christmas. It lasted for three an a half weeks :-(

Take it easy mate :-)

I do believe it could have been myself Derek - not many Kim's around in the "chap"variety lol. I do play classical guitar (though not touched it seriously in 10yrs) - so nails are the kind of thing I notice and would ask about. I am in LAS and get to meetings at the space center when I can - but quite infrequently due to commuting. On open evenings I take some gear to demo, and the missus (well someone has to lift  the gear lol).

The pictures might have been someone else's scope cos I didn't have a 4" refractor at that time and have never owned a pier. You've got a good memory if you can remember where you were sitting lol. If you ever fancy a session and/or just an astro chat during the week, I often set up on the drive when it's clear for a couple of hours. I'm often joined by folks from the Leicester area. :)

That's amazing. I hunted out a couple of photos, see if you are on? But the seats to the left of me were occupied by the couple and may have been away somewhere alse when I took the photos. I'm not staying on too long, in fact I'm going to lie down, I feel lousy. I've came down with some kind of stomach flu like symptoms today. Yes, I may well pop down some day, thank you.

Oh, the seats to the left of my vacant seat are occupied with a couple. I recognise my coat on the seat, so it was defo 2nd row

attachicon.gifIMG_6117-resized.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_6118-resized.jpg

That's amazing. I hunted out a couple of photos, see if you are on? But the seats to the left of me were occupied by the couple and may have been away somewhere alse when I took the photos. I'm not staying on too long, in fact I'm going to lie down, I feel lousy. I've came down with some kind of stomach flu like symptoms today. Yes, I may well pop down some day, thank you.

Nope - don't recognise myself in the pics Derek - and not entirely sure if I was at that one. I usually sneak in at the back cos I'm nearly always a few mins late lol. Hope you get well soon :)

Thanks Allan, we'll chat later.  I've came down with what seems to be like a stomach flu, felt lousy earlier and not too grand now. Yet no sneezes, coughs or sore throat. I wonder if anyone else came down?

Yeah I've not been to good today and Saturday :wacko:

I feel really drained, pain in neck ( no not the wife) real effort to get going :blink:

tummy a little dicky but i put that down to cold bacon sandwiches I made for the journey up from Southend Firday afternoon, oh yes and the 4 bottles of red wine I drank ( with company last night)

:yucky:

Yeah I've not been to good today and Saturday :wacko:

I feel really drained, pain in neck ( no not the wife) real effort to get going :blink:

tummy a little dicky but i put that down to cold bacon sandwiches I made for the journey up from Southend Firday afternoon, oh yes and the 4 bottles of red wine I drank ( with company last night)

:yucky:

4 bottles wine, yikes. I hope you get better soon.  Been in bed all day Sunday and Monday.

"The pictures might have been someone else's scope cos I didn't have a 4" refractor at that time"

He didn't then Derek, but has made amends since. He now has one in a different colour for every day of the week. !  :lol: 

Oh good, may be on the days he doesn't use one, I can have it that day :)

It's probably not flu, Derek. I had that before Christmas. It lasted for three an a half weeks :-(

Take it easy mate :-)

Thanks Wayne